Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android L Root Guide with Patched SuperSU
By Precious Silva | June 30, 2014 11:35 PM EST
Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 users can now root their devices to the Android L Developer Preview. The patched SuperSU v2.00 root package offers a range of minor tweaks within its rooting script.
Hugo Barra, director of Product Management at Android, holds a new Nexus 7 tablet during a Google event at Dogpatch Studio in San Francisco, California, July 24, 2013.
XDA Developer Chainfire has also posted about the Android L SuperSU. Chainfire is best known for developing the SuperSU. According to the developer, a fix has been included in the SuperSU supporting conventional shell scrip and minor tweaks. Against previous reports, the new Android L does not restrict system root or write access operating with the new program. Likewise, a number of minor root script changes on the SU will be enough to manage rooting related to bootloader unlocked devices.
Important Note: Rooting is useful in installing third party root apps along with custom ROMS. Providers of the guide cannot be held responsible for what happens to the device following procedures. Users can update at their own risk.
Pre-requisites for the root process include:
-Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 drivers
-USB debugging mode enabled
-Unlocked SIM and bootloader
-At least 80% battery charged
-Nexus 5: CWM Recovery and TWRP Recovery
-Nexus 7 2013: CWM Recovery and TWRP Recovery
-SuperSU v2.00 (patched for Android L update)
Installation instructions under CWM Recovery:
1. Turn off Nexus device and switch it to recovery mode. Press Power and Volume Down buttons together. Wait for the Start prompt to show up.
2. Click on the Volume Down button a number of times until the recovery option appears.
3. Click on the Volume Up button to proceed.
4. Go to the Nandroid Backup. Do this by opening the Backup and Restore option. Select Backup.
5. Choose Install zip from sdcard > Choose zip from sdcard. Access the file from the folder it was saved and choose SuperSU file. Do the same thing for the boot files.
6. Return to the main menu and choose reboot system. Reboot the unit following installation of both SuperSU and Boot files.
Wait for the phone to restart.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft