Australian Tennis News: Davis Cup, Fed Cup Coming Soon in Canberra, ACT
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 30, 2014 11:24 PM EST
Australian tennis is on the rise and Tennis ACT is looking to ride the wave as they, along with the ACT government and Tennis Australia, look to bring the Davis Cup and Fed Cup to Canberra, Australia. The world-class events, if the rights will be awarded to Australia, will be held at the soon-to-be-finished Lyneham Centre.
Nick Kyrgios of Australia reacts after defeating Richard Gasquet of France in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 26, 2014.
"When the complex is complete in 2015, I think we can put together a strong tender. With Nick being there it's a huge boost, the community would be behind it if Nick is playing and I think we'd have a strong case,” said Ross Triffit, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Tennis ACT, via The Age.
Triffit is referring to Australian Nick Kyrgios who has won his first three matches at the 2014 Wimbledon Championships. This includes a big upset win over 13th seed Richard Gasquet of France in the second round.
“The existing National Sports Club has seen better days - the facility is 42 years old and falls below the standards now expected in a modern health and recreation centre.” stated the press release in April 2012. “Tennis ACT, along with the ACT Government and Tennis Australia, has been looking at potential options for the site for a number of years and has now secured support from Next Generation Clubs Australia to undertake what will be a $20 million redevelopment project.”
By 2015’s completion of the Lyneham Centre facilities in the modern complex include a gymnasium; indoor and outdoor pools; 14 hard court tennis courts; and 6 clay tennis courts among many others.
The 19-year-old Kyrgios, who was born in Canberra, ACT, is expected to headline future events in the new facility especially if he continues his impressive showing in the ATP Tour.
The Aussie faces World No. 1 Rafael Nadal next in the fourth round of the men’s singles competition at Wimbledon on Tuesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored