Australian Tennis News: Davis Cup, Fed Cup Coming Soon in Canberra, ACT
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 30, 2014 11:24 PM EST
Australian tennis is on the rise and Tennis ACT is looking to ride the wave as they, along with the ACT government and Tennis Australia, look to bring the Davis Cup and Fed Cup to Canberra, Australia. The world-class events, if the rights will be awarded to Australia, will be held at the soon-to-be-finished Lyneham Centre.
Nick Kyrgios of Australia reacts after defeating Richard Gasquet of France in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 26, 2014.
"When the complex is complete in 2015, I think we can put together a strong tender. With Nick being there it's a huge boost, the community would be behind it if Nick is playing and I think we'd have a strong case,” said Ross Triffit, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Tennis ACT, via The Age.
Triffit is referring to Australian Nick Kyrgios who has won his first three matches at the 2014 Wimbledon Championships. This includes a big upset win over 13th seed Richard Gasquet of France in the second round.
“The existing National Sports Club has seen better days - the facility is 42 years old and falls below the standards now expected in a modern health and recreation centre.” stated the press release in April 2012. “Tennis ACT, along with the ACT Government and Tennis Australia, has been looking at potential options for the site for a number of years and has now secured support from Next Generation Clubs Australia to undertake what will be a $20 million redevelopment project.”
By 2015’s completion of the Lyneham Centre facilities in the modern complex include a gymnasium; indoor and outdoor pools; 14 hard court tennis courts; and 6 clay tennis courts among many others.
The 19-year-old Kyrgios, who was born in Canberra, ACT, is expected to headline future events in the new facility especially if he continues his impressive showing in the ATP Tour.
The Aussie faces World No. 1 Rafael Nadal next in the fourth round of the men’s singles competition at Wimbledon on Tuesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’