Australian Tennis News: Davis Cup, Fed Cup Coming Soon in Canberra, ACT
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 30, 2014 11:24 PM EST
Australian tennis is on the rise and Tennis ACT is looking to ride the wave as they, along with the ACT government and Tennis Australia, look to bring the Davis Cup and Fed Cup to Canberra, Australia. The world-class events, if the rights will be awarded to Australia, will be held at the soon-to-be-finished Lyneham Centre.
Nick Kyrgios of Australia reacts after defeating Richard Gasquet of France in their men's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 26, 2014.
"When the complex is complete in 2015, I think we can put together a strong tender. With Nick being there it's a huge boost, the community would be behind it if Nick is playing and I think we'd have a strong case,” said Ross Triffit, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Tennis ACT, via The Age.
Triffit is referring to Australian Nick Kyrgios who has won his first three matches at the 2014 Wimbledon Championships. This includes a big upset win over 13th seed Richard Gasquet of France in the second round.
“The existing National Sports Club has seen better days - the facility is 42 years old and falls below the standards now expected in a modern health and recreation centre.” stated the press release in April 2012. “Tennis ACT, along with the ACT Government and Tennis Australia, has been looking at potential options for the site for a number of years and has now secured support from Next Generation Clubs Australia to undertake what will be a $20 million redevelopment project.”
By 2015’s completion of the Lyneham Centre facilities in the modern complex include a gymnasium; indoor and outdoor pools; 14 hard court tennis courts; and 6 clay tennis courts among many others.
The 19-year-old Kyrgios, who was born in Canberra, ACT, is expected to headline future events in the new facility especially if he continues his impressive showing in the ATP Tour.
The Aussie faces World No. 1 Rafael Nadal next in the fourth round of the men’s singles competition at Wimbledon on Tuesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones