NBA Free Agency News: Phoenix Suns Looking to Steal Gordon Hayward from the Utah Jazz
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 30, 2014 9:41 PM EST
The Phoenix Suns main target in this offseason is LeBron James and/or Carmelo Anthony but if they missed out on one or both their apparent Plan B is to get Gordon Hayward the rising star from the Utah Jazz.
NBA: Utah Jazz at Indiana Pacers
“The 6-foot-8 restricted free agent is expected to receive a significant contract offer, possibly upwards to a max deal, from the Phoenix Suns this coming week, according to sources,” reports the Deseret News on Sunday.
The Jazz however plan to keep 24-year-old Hayward, who is a restricted free agent (RFA). An RFA can sign a contract with any team but the original team—in this case, Utah—can match any offer to retain him from their team.
The versatile wingman averaged 16.2 points, 5.1 rebounds and 5.2 assists in starting 77 games for the Jazz which finished a lowly 25-57 in 2013-2014 one of the worst records in the regular season.
Entering his fourth year in the league, Hayward will have new and promising teammates in Australian Dante Exum, the 5th overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft and the Rodney Hood, the 23rd overall pick if he returns to the Jazz
However, if the Suns indeed steal Hayward away, he’ll be joining Phoenix’s power backcourt of Goran Dragic and Eric Bledsoe, who is expected to re-sign with Phoenix in this offseason.
Other teams that are interested in Hayward’s services are the Boston Celtics and Charlotte Hornets, both of which have the cap space to chase a free agent of the small forward’s caliber and contract demand which is possibly worth the max.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air