Ed Sheeran's Second Album 'X' Removes Lana Del Rey from Top Position at the Charts
By Annie Dee | June 30, 2014 9:15 PM EST
Ed Sheeran's second album, "X" impressed and topped the charts as a result. According to Telegraph UK, the album shot straight to the top of the album charts. Lana Del Rey's was debunked from the top position as a result. This was announced on Sunday, only shortly after Ed Sheeran performed at the Glastonbury Festival on the Pyramid State.
Musician Ed Sheeran arrives on the red carpet at the MuchMusic Video Awards (MMVA) in Toronto, June 15, 2014.
Before the performance and before Ed reached the top position, the album was given five stars by a well known music critic from Telegraph, Neil McCormick. Neil had high praises for the album, describing it as containing "genuinely great songs, where melodies flow, rhythms groove, choruses erupt and lyrics jab you with surprises".
The album impressed so many that it is one of the fastest-selling UK album of the year. The album managed to sold over 182,000 copies just during the week of release. Lana del Rey's album, "Ultraviolence" lost its number one position and went down to the third spot. The second spot was taken by Sam Smith's "In the Lonely Hour."
Ed Sheeran is not the only winner on this chart. Dutch DJ Oliver Heidens, 19 and British singer Becky Hill, 20, collaborated on a song entitled, "Gecko" and this took the first spot in the official singles chart. This replaced Ella Henderson on the top spot. Ed Sheeran's current single, "Sing," remained in the number three after four weeks in the chart.
Ed Sheeran cannot do anything wrong it seems. Aside from doing wonderfully at the Glastonbury Festival, Ed Sheera's cover of 5SOS wowed everyone as well. According to 2dayFm.Au, Sheeran visited UK's Capital FM on Sunday and played a live set, which includes a cover of 5SOS's famous single, "She Looks So Perfect." He did it amazingly. He did not sound anything like the 5SOS, adding his own acoustic flavour to the song. But the version remains very likeable. He also played a few of his own songs, "Sing" and "Don't."
His performances can still be viewed on Capital FM.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’