Dolly Parton's Glastonbury Festival Performance Raises Miming Controversy
By Annie Dee | June 30, 2014 9:14 PM EST
Dolly Parton excited many fans who have heard she would perform at the Glastonbury Festival. Around 100,000 fans turned up to see her perform, making her act one the most popular in this year's Glastonbury Festival, Independent UK reports. Fame must be a double-edged sword because the large turnout made her more vulnerable to criticism, especially those fans who were really scrutinizing how she performed. According to Telegraph UK, Dolly Parton disappointed many fans who believed she was just miming in a supposedly-live performance. Television viewers concurred that Dolly was not singing live. Dolly's spokesperson however denied these allegations.
Actress and singer Dolly Parton arrives at the Hollywood premiere of ''Joyful Noise'' in Los Angeles, California January 9, 2012.
Telegraph UK reports that television viewers think Dolly Parton was just miming on the Festival. Her appearance on the Pyramid Stage is now mired in a controversy because of this. The reaction is not contained among television viewers though. In fact, it was Sky News presenter, Kay Burley was the first to tweet this reaction. Kay reports, "Oh, Dolly is miming. How disappointing," Telegraph UK reports. Her tweet caused a wildfire among many people using the same social networking site. Stephen Fry tried to defend Parton and said it was the delay in the television that made it look as if Parton was miming.
Stephen Fry made a series of tweets to defend Dolly. He tweets, "I think I know quite a lot about how TV is made. Why are people saying Dolly Parton is miming? She's fooling me..."
He followed this with another tweet that goes, "Believe me, that is not miming. If it appears not always to lip-sync that's an HD live processor issue. You see it with news reporters."
His comments were not accepted by many.
Parton's spokesman immediately denied these allegations. "No, she sings live," he shared to the the Sunday Mirror. "Some people don't know an amazing singer when they hear one."
Dolly Parton though once said she is not averse to miming or lip-syncing. Back in her 2004, "Hello, I'm Dolly" tour, she claimed she is open to the idea of miming. She shared the following statement to fan website Dollymania: "Yes, there are portions of the songs in the show that are prerecorded. I tell you that at the beginning of the show when I say, 'If you notice some enhancement or doctoring in the show, it's not to fool or trick anyone. It's an effort to entertain by being able to have a bigger production and, hopefully, a better sound."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2: Jessica Talks After Her Shocking Elimination
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes