NHL News: Sam Gagner Traded by Edmonton to Tampa Bay Before Landing in Arizona
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 30, 2014 8:35 PM EST
Sam Gagner was traded twice in a span of a day when the Edmonton Oilers traded him to the Tampa Bay Lightning who then immediately shipped him to the Arizona Coyotes.
Jun 27, 2014; Philadelphia, PA, USA; Edmonton Oilers general manager Craig Mactavish announces Leon Draisaitl (not pictured) as the number three overall pick to the Edmonton Oilers in the first round of the 2014 NHL Draft at Wells Fargo Center.
The Oilers acquired right winger Teddy Purcell from the Lightning. While Edmonton wanted no part of the centre Gagner, especially as his contract will secure a “no-trade clause” by July 1; and Tampa Bay planned to buy his contract out to shed some salary, Arizona fancied him that the Coyotes gave up a sixth-round pick.
"I was talking to my agent, and he had said when Tampa traded for me that there might be something else going on," said the 24-year-old centre to The Canadian Press. "So it was something I was prepared for. I wasn't really expecting to be traded (again) today. But it's one of those things that happens in sports, and I guess you've got to be ready for it at all times."
Gagner is the sixth overall pick in the 2007 NHL Draft but has never panned out with the Oilers. He’ll get a chance to rebound in Phoenix as a replacement for Mike Ribeiro who was cut because of “behavioural issues.”
"We got him for his offensive instincts and creativity," said the Coyotes’ executive vice president and general manager Don Maloney. "Players can learn to play better defence. It's very difficult to learn to be more intelligent and more creative."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage