NHL News: Sam Gagner Traded by Edmonton to Tampa Bay Before Landing in Arizona
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 30, 2014 8:35 PM EST
Sam Gagner was traded twice in a span of a day when the Edmonton Oilers traded him to the Tampa Bay Lightning who then immediately shipped him to the Arizona Coyotes.
Jun 27, 2014; Philadelphia, PA, USA; Edmonton Oilers general manager Craig Mactavish announces Leon Draisaitl (not pictured) as the number three overall pick to the Edmonton Oilers in the first round of the 2014 NHL Draft at Wells Fargo Center.
The Oilers acquired right winger Teddy Purcell from the Lightning. While Edmonton wanted no part of the centre Gagner, especially as his contract will secure a “no-trade clause” by July 1; and Tampa Bay planned to buy his contract out to shed some salary, Arizona fancied him that the Coyotes gave up a sixth-round pick.
"I was talking to my agent, and he had said when Tampa traded for me that there might be something else going on," said the 24-year-old centre to The Canadian Press. "So it was something I was prepared for. I wasn't really expecting to be traded (again) today. But it's one of those things that happens in sports, and I guess you've got to be ready for it at all times."
Gagner is the sixth overall pick in the 2007 NHL Draft but has never panned out with the Oilers. He’ll get a chance to rebound in Phoenix as a replacement for Mike Ribeiro who was cut because of “behavioural issues.”
"We got him for his offensive instincts and creativity," said the Coyotes’ executive vice president and general manager Don Maloney. "Players can learn to play better defence. It's very difficult to learn to be more intelligent and more creative."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles