NHL News: Sam Gagner Traded by Edmonton to Tampa Bay Before Landing in Arizona
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 30, 2014 8:35 PM EST
Sam Gagner was traded twice in a span of a day when the Edmonton Oilers traded him to the Tampa Bay Lightning who then immediately shipped him to the Arizona Coyotes.
Jun 27, 2014; Philadelphia, PA, USA; Edmonton Oilers general manager Craig Mactavish announces Leon Draisaitl (not pictured) as the number three overall pick to the Edmonton Oilers in the first round of the 2014 NHL Draft at Wells Fargo Center.
The Oilers acquired right winger Teddy Purcell from the Lightning. While Edmonton wanted no part of the centre Gagner, especially as his contract will secure a “no-trade clause” by July 1; and Tampa Bay planned to buy his contract out to shed some salary, Arizona fancied him that the Coyotes gave up a sixth-round pick.
"I was talking to my agent, and he had said when Tampa traded for me that there might be something else going on," said the 24-year-old centre to The Canadian Press. "So it was something I was prepared for. I wasn't really expecting to be traded (again) today. But it's one of those things that happens in sports, and I guess you've got to be ready for it at all times."
Gagner is the sixth overall pick in the 2007 NHL Draft but has never panned out with the Oilers. He’ll get a chance to rebound in Phoenix as a replacement for Mike Ribeiro who was cut because of “behavioural issues.”
"We got him for his offensive instincts and creativity," said the Coyotes’ executive vice president and general manager Don Maloney. "Players can learn to play better defence. It's very difficult to learn to be more intelligent and more creative."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date