World Cup News: Greece Skipper Retires from International Football
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 30, 2014 7:22 PM EST
Greece skipper Giorgios Karagounis announced his retirement from international football following their round-of-16 exit at the World Cup in the hands of Costa Rica on Sunday.
"This was my last game for Greece," said Karagounis.
Greece's Giorgos Karagounis and Jose Holebas react after losing the penalty shootout in their 2014 World Cup round of 16 game against Costa Rica at the Pernambuco arena in Recife
"We wanted to stay in Brazil another week or even longer but you can't change it now."
The Galanolefki surprisingly made it through to the second round ahead of one of Group C's favourites Japan, with Colombia placing first.
The 37-year-old's future at club level is yet to be determined after Premier League's Fulham opted to let go of him.
He has received 139 caps, while registering 10 goals, since making his debut in 1999.
The former Panathinaikos man is optimistic that his national side will be able to sustain what has been started this year.
"The national team has grown up, younger players have won invaluable experiences," he added.
"This is no small thing and as we helped the team come of age we hope it will continue to be as successful in the future."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October