World Cup News: Greece Skipper Retires from International Football
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 30, 2014 7:22 PM EST
Greece skipper Giorgios Karagounis announced his retirement from international football following their round-of-16 exit at the World Cup in the hands of Costa Rica on Sunday.
"This was my last game for Greece," said Karagounis.
Greece's Giorgos Karagounis and Jose Holebas react after losing the penalty shootout in their 2014 World Cup round of 16 game against Costa Rica at the Pernambuco arena in Recife
"We wanted to stay in Brazil another week or even longer but you can't change it now."
The Galanolefki surprisingly made it through to the second round ahead of one of Group C's favourites Japan, with Colombia placing first.
The 37-year-old's future at club level is yet to be determined after Premier League's Fulham opted to let go of him.
He has received 139 caps, while registering 10 goals, since making his debut in 1999.
The former Panathinaikos man is optimistic that his national side will be able to sustain what has been started this year.
"The national team has grown up, younger players have won invaluable experiences," he added.
"This is no small thing and as we helped the team come of age we hope it will continue to be as successful in the future."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown