World Cup News: Greece Skipper Retires from International Football
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 30, 2014 7:22 PM EST
Greece skipper Giorgios Karagounis announced his retirement from international football following their round-of-16 exit at the World Cup in the hands of Costa Rica on Sunday.
"This was my last game for Greece," said Karagounis.
Greece's Giorgos Karagounis and Jose Holebas react after losing the penalty shootout in their 2014 World Cup round of 16 game against Costa Rica at the Pernambuco arena in Recife
"We wanted to stay in Brazil another week or even longer but you can't change it now."
The Galanolefki surprisingly made it through to the second round ahead of one of Group C's favourites Japan, with Colombia placing first.
The 37-year-old's future at club level is yet to be determined after Premier League's Fulham opted to let go of him.
He has received 139 caps, while registering 10 goals, since making his debut in 1999.
The former Panathinaikos man is optimistic that his national side will be able to sustain what has been started this year.
"The national team has grown up, younger players have won invaluable experiences," he added.
"This is no small thing and as we helped the team come of age we hope it will continue to be as successful in the future."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L