Shailene Woodley: Eating Clay Does Not Make Her a Pothead
By Annie Dee | June 30, 2014 5:59 PM EST
Shailene Woodley may be practicing a lot of unconventional ways of doing things such as eating clay and not washing her hair every day, but she claims this does not make her the typical hippie type. She got the idea that people view her differently when a person believes she smokes hash and takes pot just because of her non-traditional beliefs and methods. She was quick to defend herself and laugh about the incident, Vanity Fair reports.
Actress Shailene Woodley, winner of the Female Star of Tomorrow award, arrives for the Big Screen Achievement Awards during CinemaCon, the official convention of the National Association of Theatre Owners, at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada March 27, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Shailene Woodley graces Vanity Fair's July issue and explains why the public perception of her cannot be farther from who she is and what she's about. The "Divergent" star shares a funny experience of being mistaken as a pothead.
"I actually went on a hike the other day with somebody that I had just recently met, and we were talking, and he was like, 'So you smoke a lot of hash, smoke a lot of pot?' And I was like, 'What? No, actually,'" shared Woodley.
"And he's like, 'No?' And I was like, 'No.' And he goes, 'That's so funny.' He was in his 40s, and he was like, 'You know, back when I was growing up, like if you sort of had these alternative-lifestyle ways, it meant that you were a total pothead.'"
Aside from clearing that up, she also noted that having millions of followers, most of which noticed her when she took on the "Divergent" franchise, is not something she is proud of. Although she's happy fans are taking a notice, she said that is not what she is all about.
"The whole fan thing is very strange to me, because I've never had anybody that I have gone crazy for, like whether it was an actor or a musician. And so it's a weird thing for me to relate to, especially the screaming sort of young fandom, the Twilight, Hunger Games, Divergent world caters to," noted Shailene.
"So I kind of actually try to like actively remove myself from the situation. There's this idea that actors and that musicians or models or whatever are better than the fans, and the fans look up to them because they're an actor. People that I look up to in life are people who make a difference, and brave, strong women."
Shailene just proves how authentic she really is, no matter where "Divergent" and "The Fault in Our Stars" has taken her. As she shared to Business Mirror PH via phone: "I don't say the things I say for others, I say them because it's my truth."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Nov. 26, 2014, The Forrester Mansion Is All Decked Out For Thanksgiving With Family And Friends [WATCH VIDEO]
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid