'Gliese 832-c' Miniature Version of Earth
By Afza Fathima | June 30, 2014 5:51 PM EST
A new planet, 'Gliese 832-c', most similar to our planet, Earth, has been discovered by the astronomers from the University of South Wales. The planet is five times Earth's size and is 16 light years away from our planet. It is said to have an orbital period of 36 days.
'Gliese 832-c' is said to be similar to Earth.
Astronomers said, "The planet orbits a red giant star that's just far enough away to reasonably support life." In 2009, Gliese 832-b, a cold planet like Jupiter was discovered orbiting the same star.
A Sci-News report said that Gliese 832-c receives the same average level of stellar energy as our sun gives the Earth.
Chris Tinney, professor at the University of New South Wales, said, "With an outer giant planet and an interior potentially rocky planet, this planetary system can be thought of as a miniature version of our Solar System."
So far, Gliese 832-c comes closest to being habitable as it is said to have temperatures similar to that of Earth. Scientists believe that this planet faces seasonal shifts drastically.
Abel Mendez said that Gliese 832-c seem to have the right temperature for life but not necessarily the right size. He explained that it could be a gas or water world instead of a rocky world, but they simply don't know now and that the orbital eccentricity of Gliese 832-c might cause large season temperatures changes but not enough to preclude life.
He exclaimed, "A dense CO2 atmosphere could make this planet too hot for life anyway."
Scientists are fascinated by Gliese 832-c as it is said that the same amount of energy that the Earth receives from the sun is received by the planet from the star it orbits.
Per Robert Wittenmeyer, involved with the study of the planet, said, "t would be able to figure out Gliese 832-c's atmosphere if it were to transit across its host star, but it doesn't do that, so researchers are left to speculate. Super-Earths are still considered a mysterious class of planet."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Study Shows Oceans are Vital For Alien Life
- Experts Recommend a New Discipline Combining Neuroscience and Psychology
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market