'Gliese 832-c' Miniature Version of Earth
By Afza Fathima | June 30, 2014 5:51 PM EST
A new planet, 'Gliese 832-c', most similar to our planet, Earth, has been discovered by the astronomers from the University of South Wales. The planet is five times Earth's size and is 16 light years away from our planet. It is said to have an orbital period of 36 days.
'Gliese 832-c' is said to be similar to Earth.
Astronomers said, "The planet orbits a red giant star that's just far enough away to reasonably support life." In 2009, Gliese 832-b, a cold planet like Jupiter was discovered orbiting the same star.
A Sci-News report said that Gliese 832-c receives the same average level of stellar energy as our sun gives the Earth.
Chris Tinney, professor at the University of New South Wales, said, "With an outer giant planet and an interior potentially rocky planet, this planetary system can be thought of as a miniature version of our Solar System."
So far, Gliese 832-c comes closest to being habitable as it is said to have temperatures similar to that of Earth. Scientists believe that this planet faces seasonal shifts drastically.
Abel Mendez said that Gliese 832-c seem to have the right temperature for life but not necessarily the right size. He explained that it could be a gas or water world instead of a rocky world, but they simply don't know now and that the orbital eccentricity of Gliese 832-c might cause large season temperatures changes but not enough to preclude life.
He exclaimed, "A dense CO2 atmosphere could make this planet too hot for life anyway."
Scientists are fascinated by Gliese 832-c as it is said that the same amount of energy that the Earth receives from the sun is received by the planet from the star it orbits.
Per Robert Wittenmeyer, involved with the study of the planet, said, "t would be able to figure out Gliese 832-c's atmosphere if it were to transit across its host star, but it doesn't do that, so researchers are left to speculate. Super-Earths are still considered a mysterious class of planet."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- 'Human Skull' Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting: UFO Spotted Above Las Vegas, Nevada
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Alien Toy Doll Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar