'Gliese 832-c' Miniature Version of Earth
By Afza Fathima | June 30, 2014 5:51 PM EST
A new planet, 'Gliese 832-c', most similar to our planet, Earth, has been discovered by the astronomers from the University of South Wales. The planet is five times Earth's size and is 16 light years away from our planet. It is said to have an orbital period of 36 days.
'Gliese 832-c' is said to be similar to Earth.
Astronomers said, "The planet orbits a red giant star that's just far enough away to reasonably support life." In 2009, Gliese 832-b, a cold planet like Jupiter was discovered orbiting the same star.
A Sci-News report said that Gliese 832-c receives the same average level of stellar energy as our sun gives the Earth.
Chris Tinney, professor at the University of New South Wales, said, "With an outer giant planet and an interior potentially rocky planet, this planetary system can be thought of as a miniature version of our Solar System."
So far, Gliese 832-c comes closest to being habitable as it is said to have temperatures similar to that of Earth. Scientists believe that this planet faces seasonal shifts drastically.
Abel Mendez said that Gliese 832-c seem to have the right temperature for life but not necessarily the right size. He explained that it could be a gas or water world instead of a rocky world, but they simply don't know now and that the orbital eccentricity of Gliese 832-c might cause large season temperatures changes but not enough to preclude life.
He exclaimed, "A dense CO2 atmosphere could make this planet too hot for life anyway."
Scientists are fascinated by Gliese 832-c as it is said that the same amount of energy that the Earth receives from the sun is received by the planet from the star it orbits.
Per Robert Wittenmeyer, involved with the study of the planet, said, "t would be able to figure out Gliese 832-c's atmosphere if it were to transit across its host star, but it doesn't do that, so researchers are left to speculate. Super-Earths are still considered a mysterious class of planet."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge