Arson Charges Slapped Against U.S. Woman Who Burns Down House to Get Rid of Spiders
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 30, 2014 4:23 PM EST
Charges of aggravated arson have been slapped against a U.S. woman for setting her house on fire to get rid of an itsy bitsy, crawling spider.
Ginny M. Griffith, a 34-year-old woman from Hutchinson, Kansas, told police she used a cigarette lighter to alight a set towels to try to kill a spider.
REUTERS/Peter Liley, Moffat Be
A fishing spider (Dolomedes facetus) is pictured with a captured fish (genus Xiphophorus) in a garden pond in Brisbane, Australia in this undated handout photograph. Spiders from at least five different families prey on small fish in the wild, according to a review published June 18, 2014 in the open-access journal PLOS ONE. Researchers documented this wide-ranging palate in a study published on Wednesday detailing how at least two dozen species of spiders on every continent but Antarctica eat small freshwater fish that often exceed them in size. REUTERS/Peter Liley, Moffat Beach, Queensland/Handout via Reuters (AUSTRALIA - Tags: SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY ANIMALS) ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS PICTURE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY. REUTERS IS UNABLE TO INDEPENDENTLY VERIFY THE AUTHENTICITY, CONTENT, LOCATION OR DATE OF THIS IMAGE. FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. THIS PICTURE IS DISTRIBUTED EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS. NO SALES. NO ARCHIVES
Five Hutchinson Fire Department units responded to the 1:36 am call to extinguish a small fire in her half of a duplex at 121 W. Seventh Ave, the Hutchinson News report.
Doug Hanen, deputy fire chief, said in a statement that firefighters found light smoke coming from the woman's half of the duplex. Some clothing that were already smoldering were likewise found just inside the doorway.
Hanen said multiple other points of origin for the fire were also found. It was brought under control within minutes.
Griffith for sure lit the towels hoping to burn the little insect. It's not clear however if she indeed was able to kill the crawler.
Hanen explained the aggravated arson charges slapped against Griffith were because the other half of the duplex, when the blaze began, was occupied, albeit no one was injured, except perhaps the spider.
The building only suffered light smoke damage.
Griffith is currently held in the Reno County jail on a $7,500 bond.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet