Liverpool FC Transfer News: Reds Should not Sell Striker Despite Ban, Says Former Club Official
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 30, 2014 4:16 PM EST
Former Liverpool director of football Damien Comolli opined that the Merseyside outfit should not sell their prized-asset, Luis Suarez, despite the four-month ban imposed by FIFA on the Uruguay international.
Uruguay's Luis Suarez gives a thumbs-up from a balcony of the team's hotel in Natal, June 26, 2014. Suarez was hit with the biggest ban imposed at a World Cup on Thursday as FIFA threw the book at one of soccer's most talented but controversial players for biting an opponent during the 2014 World Cup match against Italy.
The 27-year-old's on-pitch antics dates back to his years at Ajax, wherein PSV's Otman Bakkal was also a victim of his biting, while Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic also got to experience such unsportsmanlike behaviour in 2013.
"Who do you replace him with? There is nobody like him around. If there was, Real Madrid and Barcelona would go after them and not Suarez," Comolli told BBC Radio 5 Live.
Suarez, who is coming off a player-of-the-year-wining season in the Premier League, could be a subject of a series reduced-bids by interested clubs.
"If there was a buying club and they felt Liverpool would sell, they will take advantage and try to drive the price down," he added.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’