Liverpool FC Transfer News: Reds Should not Sell Striker Despite Ban, Says Former Club Official
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 30, 2014 4:16 PM EST
Former Liverpool director of football Damien Comolli opined that the Merseyside outfit should not sell their prized-asset, Luis Suarez, despite the four-month ban imposed by FIFA on the Uruguay international.
Uruguay's Luis Suarez gives a thumbs-up from a balcony of the team's hotel in Natal, June 26, 2014. Suarez was hit with the biggest ban imposed at a World Cup on Thursday as FIFA threw the book at one of soccer's most talented but controversial players for biting an opponent during the 2014 World Cup match against Italy.
The 27-year-old's on-pitch antics dates back to his years at Ajax, wherein PSV's Otman Bakkal was also a victim of his biting, while Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic also got to experience such unsportsmanlike behaviour in 2013.
"Who do you replace him with? There is nobody like him around. If there was, Real Madrid and Barcelona would go after them and not Suarez," Comolli told BBC Radio 5 Live.
Suarez, who is coming off a player-of-the-year-wining season in the Premier League, could be a subject of a series reduced-bids by interested clubs.
"If there was a buying club and they felt Liverpool would sell, they will take advantage and try to drive the price down," he added.
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments