Liverpool FC Transfer News: Reds Should not Sell Striker Despite Ban, Says Former Club Official
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 30, 2014 4:16 PM EST
Former Liverpool director of football Damien Comolli opined that the Merseyside outfit should not sell their prized-asset, Luis Suarez, despite the four-month ban imposed by FIFA on the Uruguay international.
Uruguay's Luis Suarez gives a thumbs-up from a balcony of the team's hotel in Natal, June 26, 2014. Suarez was hit with the biggest ban imposed at a World Cup on Thursday as FIFA threw the book at one of soccer's most talented but controversial players for biting an opponent during the 2014 World Cup match against Italy.
The 27-year-old's on-pitch antics dates back to his years at Ajax, wherein PSV's Otman Bakkal was also a victim of his biting, while Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic also got to experience such unsportsmanlike behaviour in 2013.
"Who do you replace him with? There is nobody like him around. If there was, Real Madrid and Barcelona would go after them and not Suarez," Comolli told BBC Radio 5 Live.
Suarez, who is coming off a player-of-the-year-wining season in the Premier League, could be a subject of a series reduced-bids by interested clubs.
"If there was a buying club and they felt Liverpool would sell, they will take advantage and try to drive the price down," he added.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected