Liverpool FC Transfer News: Reds Should not Sell Striker Despite Ban, Says Former Club Official
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 30, 2014 4:16 PM EST
Former Liverpool director of football Damien Comolli opined that the Merseyside outfit should not sell their prized-asset, Luis Suarez, despite the four-month ban imposed by FIFA on the Uruguay international.
Uruguay's Luis Suarez gives a thumbs-up from a balcony of the team's hotel in Natal, June 26, 2014. Suarez was hit with the biggest ban imposed at a World Cup on Thursday as FIFA threw the book at one of soccer's most talented but controversial players for biting an opponent during the 2014 World Cup match against Italy.
The 27-year-old's on-pitch antics dates back to his years at Ajax, wherein PSV's Otman Bakkal was also a victim of his biting, while Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic also got to experience such unsportsmanlike behaviour in 2013.
"Who do you replace him with? There is nobody like him around. If there was, Real Madrid and Barcelona would go after them and not Suarez," Comolli told BBC Radio 5 Live.
Suarez, who is coming off a player-of-the-year-wining season in the Premier League, could be a subject of a series reduced-bids by interested clubs.
"If there was a buying club and they felt Liverpool would sell, they will take advantage and try to drive the price down," he added.
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air