Second Case of Exploding Rip-Off USB Charger in NSW Almost Killed 14-Year-Old
By Anne Lu | June 30, 2014 4:04 PM EST
Another cheap USB charger has almost cost the life of a 14-year-old. Lorna Sommerville bought a knock-off USB charger for $10 from Paddy’s Market for her son Daniel, which turned out to be a big mistake as the charger exploded within centimetres of the teen’s head.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Sommerville from Kanahooka bought the cheap iPod accessory on Sunday from Paddy’s Market for Daniel’s birthday. But come Monday evening, the device was useless.
It had exploded near Daniel’s head after he plugged it into his iPod.
His mum saw a flash of light and heard a loud bang coming from his room, describing it as “like metal hitting metal.”
“Daniel came out of his bedroom with a stunned look on his face. He said, ‘the charger,’” Sommerville said. “The whole house smelt like gun powder. I was shocked.”
The charger’s explosion not only almost killed Daniel, but also caused the electric supply to short circuit in some of their house’s rooms.
“Who knows what would have happened if we didn’t have a circuit breaker,” she said. After hearing about the other woman that got killed by it, we’re really thinking how seriously lucky Daniel is.”
The other woman was Sheryl Anne Aldeguer, a 28-year-old mother of two from Sydney who was found dead wearing headphones and holding her laptop in her rented room in Gosford on April 23. She was believed to be electrocuted by a counterfeit USB charger, which she apparently bought for $4.95 from a stall in Campsie.
Aldeguer, originally from the Philippines, was supposed to start work as a nurse at Gosford Hospital just days before her death.
Authorities have issued a warning to consumers against buying cheap devices. The NSW Fair Trading is now urging buyers to refrain from buying non-compliant chargers from markets or small kiosks in shopping centres.
A device that is compliant with Australian standards should have a tick symbol, called a C Tick. The tick may be inside a circle or triangle, according to Tech Guide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- PS4 v. Xbox One: More Details For Firmware 2.0 Update, Xbox Screenshot Feature And Paid Xbox Music Emerge
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine