Disney Star Zendaya Coleman No Longer Part of Aaliyah Biopic: Find Out Why
By nidhi tewari | June 30, 2014 3:59 PM EST
Disney star Zendaya Coleman has opted out of the biopic of singer Aaliyah, it has been revealed. Coleman was to play the late artist in the biopic titled "Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B," but had to opt out citing "production issues." Lifetime, the makers of the proposed movie, announced on Twitter that they are "sad" to let go of Coleman.
Zendaya arrives at the 2014 BET Awards in Los Angeles, California June 29, 2014.
"We are sad Zendaya will no longer portray Aaliyah. Production is currently on hold," Lifetime PR announced on Twitter. According to etonline.com, the reason why the 17-year-old has been ousted from the movie is because there has been trouble in the making of the movie. The production team has reportedly faced opposition from Aaliyah's fans when they tried to secure the rights to Aaliyah's music to be used in her biopic.
Zendaya, who is a successful singer herself, was about to start the recording of some of Aaliyah's music for the movie but faced lot of hurdles, the Web site reports. The production thought it would be best to keep the project on hold until the matter is resolved.
It is still not clear if Zendaya was asked to leave the project or had quit herself. When the project was announced in June, the Disney star expressed her excitement on Twitter.
"She's been an inspiration and influence in my whole career, her talent still shines brighter then ever, all I wanna do is honor her," Zendaya wrote on her Twitter page in second week of June at the time of project announcement. Read more about it here.
Zendaya's fans have been quite supportive at this time and she has acknowledged this fact on Twitter. "My Zswaggers are the BEST!" she tweeted. "Thank you for your undying support thru everything!"
Zendaya was roped in to play the role of late R&B singer Aaliyah, who was killed tragically in a plane crash in Bahamas at a very young age of 22. The biopic "Aaliyah: Princess Of R&B" was supposed to be a television movie and will focus on the personal life and career of the late singer. The movie, if made, will be based on a best selling book "Aaliyah: More Than A Woman," which tells the story of her life from childhood till her untimely death.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2