Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia V Update Rolling Out; Xperia Z1S New Firmware Certified
By Ryan Inoyori | June 30, 2014 3:51 PM EST
Sony Mobile is pushing out Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware updates for Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra and the new 9.2.A.2.5 firmware for Xperia V. Additionally, Xperia Z1S gets a new firmware certification from PTCRB which may be Android KitKat.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat from Sony Mobile
Users of the Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra smartphones can now download and install the latest Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware from Sony Mobile. It carries the firmware build number 14.4.A.0.108 which has been certified on June 26, 2014.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat update for Xperia Z1 Compact started in Indonesia, Italy and Russia. Meanwhile, Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z Ultra official update is rolling out to various territories depending on the variant. Users should check the Update Centre app or Sony's PC suite programs installed on a Windows computer or Mac to determine its arrival.
Official Change logs from Sony Mobile:
— Android 4.4.4 KitKat official and latest enhancements with security updates from Google
— Updates and improvements on the camera application and experience
— Improvements when using Google Voice, Contacts, Music streaming and Google+
— Latest versions of all Sony native and multimedia applications
— Sony Mobile's latest bug fixes, optimisation and improvements.
Users can install the firmware update using the following three possible methods:
1. Using the Update Centre app or by going to Settings > About Phone > Software Updates.
2. Installing the Sony PC Companion program on a Windows computer. For MAC, use Sony Bridge.
3. For certain models, users can use Software Update Service as a lighter alternative for Sony PC Companion on a Windows computer.
Sony Xperia V New Firmware
A new firmware for Sony Xperia V has been released with build version 9.2.A.2.5. Based on the official notes from Sony Mobile, this firmware delivers an enhanced user experience, improved battery life and software performance improvements. Apparently, the firmware still runs Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
However, XperiaBlog claims users have not noticed many changes and some users even reported longer loading time of the camera application. Android 4.4 KitKat for Xperia V remains under investigation.
Sony Xperia Z1S Newly Certified Firmware
PTCRB posted a newly certified firmware for Sony Xperia Z1S or the United States variant of Xperia Z1. It will move the smartphone from 14.3.D.0.183 to 14.4.B.0.20 which seems to be a major update based on the change of the build number—14.3.X.X.X to 14.4.X.X.X.
This new firmware may be the Android KitKat update owners of Xperia Z1S have been waiting for a long time from T-Mobile to rollout. Xperia Z1S is the only member of the Xperia Z series currently running Android Jelly Bean based on the software update listing from Sony Mobile.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Moto X Reported With Poor Battery Life; Six Ways to Resolve the Issue
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire News: Meet Professor Birch Plus X and Y Updates
- Samsung Galaxy S5: Logitech Unveils Protection+ Case Accessory for Android Smartphone
- Sony Xperia Z Android 4.4.2 KitKat Battery Issue, How to Resolve and Future Firmware Upgrade
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition: Flemeth, Tallis, the Warden and Champion of Kirkwall Possible Appearances
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June