Canada Day 2014: The List of Uninvited 'Persona Non Grata'
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 30, 2014 3:34 PM EST
Officials from a select group of pariah states have been included into a list of "persona non grata" as Canada observes its national day on July 1.
According to the Canadian Press most of those included in the barred list of 2013 will most likely be relisted this year, with Russia as new entrant.
Eugenie Bouchard of Canada waves after defeating Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia in their women's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth (BRITAIN - Tags: SPORT TENNIS TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY)
The list was acquired under the country's Access to Information Act, with some parts blacked out to protect international relations.
"It is not our practice to provide lists of country representatives invited or not invited to functions held at our missions abroad," Ian Trites, a Foreign Affairs spokesperson, told Canadian Press. "I'm afraid that's all I have at this point."
Canada's diplomatic missions around the world have been told not to invite them to receptions celebrating Canada Day on July 1.
"The same considerations would apply to any official Canada Day event hosted in Ottawa and involving the local diplomatic corps," deputy minister Morris Rosenberg said in an accompanying memorandum, noting the 2013 invitation restrictions apply for events being held in Canada as well.
As for Belarus, the 2013 restriction list said the exclusion stemmed from the "lack of transparency in the vote counting process" of the country's December 2010 election, which was marred by "a violent crackdown on protesters, and the detention of most of the opposition presidential candidates."
"Given the current situation in Belarus - which continues to deteriorate - Canada sees no reason to modify its policy of limited engagement."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- China Is Building An Island In The Spratly Islands—Report
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- New Zealand's Surveillance Laws Are Anti-People, Says Green Party leader Russel Norman
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues