Canada Day 2014: The List of Uninvited 'Persona Non Grata'
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 30, 2014 3:27 PM EST
Officials from a select group of pariah states have been included into a list of "persona non grata" as Canada observes its national day on July 1.
According to the Canadian Press most of those included in the barred list of 2013 will most likely be relisted this year, with Russia as new entrant.
The list was acquired under the country's Access to Information Act, with some parts blacked out to protect international relations.
"It is not our practice to provide lists of country representatives invited or not invited to functions held at our missions abroad," Ian Trites, a Foreign Affairs spokesperson, told Canadian Press. "I'm afraid that's all I have at this point."
Canada's diplomatic missions around the world have been told not to invite them to receptions celebrating Canada Day on July 1.
"The same considerations would apply to any official Canada Day event hosted in Ottawa and involving the local diplomatic corps," deputy minister Morris Rosenberg said in an accompanying memorandum, noting the 2013 invitation restrictions apply for events being held in Canada as well.
As for Belarus, the 2013 restriction list said the exclusion stemmed from the "lack of transparency in the vote counting process" of the country's December 2010 election, which was marred by "a violent crackdown on protesters, and the detention of most of the opposition presidential candidates."
"Given the current situation in Belarus - which continues to deteriorate - Canada sees no reason to modify its policy of limited engagement."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8