NBA Free-Agency: Pau Gasol Draws Interest From Lakers, Knicks
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 30, 2014 3:25 PM EST
The New York Knicks are reportedly interested to pair Carmelo Anthony with power-forward Pau Gasol, according to a league insider.
Pau Gasol walks off the court after the Thunder eliminate the Lakers from the playoffs
Knicks president Phil Jackson, the master of the triangle offense, is reportedly intrigued of the possibility of seeing Anthony and Gasol lead the charge in running his signature offensive play.
In the latest report by ESPN's NBA insider Ramona Shelbourne, the Knicks are expected to make their pitch to Gasol, who won two NBA championships under Jackson during his tenure with the Los Angeles Lakers.
"ESPN reported Friday that the New York Knicks are preparing to make a run at the 7-foot Spaniard, who thrived in new Knicks president Phil Jackson's triangle offense in L.A. The Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets and Golden State Warriors are also expected to pursue Gasol in free agency, sources said."
The Lakers, on the other hand, are also planning to bring back Gasol but not before they try to get Anthony and LeBron James - the two most coveted free-agents this summer.
"The Lakers are expected to meet with Anthony next week, possibly as soon as Thursday, according to sources. Whether they -- or anyone -- will get to meet with James is unclear, as ESPN.com's Brian Windhorst reported Saturday that teams have not yet been able to schedule meetings with him," according to ESPN.
The Lakers and the Knicks will have the chance to sign free-agents when the market officially opens on Tuesday, July 1.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NFL News: Chicago Bears Likely To Fire Head Coach Marc Trestman At End Of NFL Season
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider