Kate Middleton Spent $7.2M for House Renovation With Prince William
By Tanya Diente | June 30, 2014 3:06 PM EST
Kate Middleton and Prince William had decided to make additional renovations on their apartment at Kensington Palace, which summed up to a total of $7.2 million with last year's renovation.
Britain's Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge arrives at Bletchley Park near Milton Keynes in southern England June 18, 2014. The Duchess of Cambridge visited the recently restored site where British codebreakers worked during World War II to decipher encrypted messages sent by the Germans.
Kate Middleton, Prince William and their son Prince George currently occupy 1A at Kensington Palace. According to Inquisitr, the couple had decided to add some additional touches to their already renovated apartment even if it means spending an additional $4.9 million from public money.
The royal couple had recently decided to add a second kitchen to their flat as well as other purposeful refurbishments.
The apartment in Kensington Palace is actually a four-story home, with up to 30 rooms, including nine bathrooms.
According to People, part of the renovation included creating what the palace source described as a "family-style" kitchen for the couple's daily use. While the original kitchen with its wall of ovens, will be kept for official functions when Kate Middleton and Prince William entertains formally.
The palace source said there "wasn't even running water" so the bulk of the renovation budget went to essential works, from the asbestos removal costing $700,000, to rewiring and plumbing. According to inquisitr, prior to the royal couple moving into their apartment, this section of the palace where the renovations were done has not been worked on in nearly 50 years. It was mostly used as offices for official purposes.
Aside from shopping for furniture for the apartment, the couple also reused items from the Royal Collection, including 365 wooden wardrobes in storage.
The palace source also stressed the renovation was not "lavish" adding, that people will be "surprised since it is a comfortable and orderly level of furnishing" where one would "feel at home."
"And the couple was "at pains to bear down on costs. The kitchen was their idea and they were perfectly happy to pay for it," said another palace source.
Kate Middleton and Prince William's apartment renovation in Kensington Palace has been confirmed by the palace to cost a total of $7.2 million. Last year's refurbishment at $1.6 million has increased by another $4.9 million. Not to mention the cost of the asbestos removal at $700,000 ups the figure to a total of $7.2 million.
Source:YouTube/The Royal Family Channel
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks