Kate Middleton Spent $7.2M for House Renovation With Prince William
By Tanya Diente | June 30, 2014 3:06 PM EST
Kate Middleton and Prince William had decided to make additional renovations on their apartment at Kensington Palace, which summed up to a total of $7.2 million with last year's renovation.
Britain's Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge arrives at Bletchley Park near Milton Keynes in southern England June 18, 2014. The Duchess of Cambridge visited the recently restored site where British codebreakers worked during World War II to decipher encrypted messages sent by the Germans.
Kate Middleton, Prince William and their son Prince George currently occupy 1A at Kensington Palace. According to Inquisitr, the couple had decided to add some additional touches to their already renovated apartment even if it means spending an additional $4.9 million from public money.
The royal couple had recently decided to add a second kitchen to their flat as well as other purposeful refurbishments.
The apartment in Kensington Palace is actually a four-story home, with up to 30 rooms, including nine bathrooms.
According to People, part of the renovation included creating what the palace source described as a "family-style" kitchen for the couple's daily use. While the original kitchen with its wall of ovens, will be kept for official functions when Kate Middleton and Prince William entertains formally.
The palace source said there "wasn't even running water" so the bulk of the renovation budget went to essential works, from the asbestos removal costing $700,000, to rewiring and plumbing. According to inquisitr, prior to the royal couple moving into their apartment, this section of the palace where the renovations were done has not been worked on in nearly 50 years. It was mostly used as offices for official purposes.
Aside from shopping for furniture for the apartment, the couple also reused items from the Royal Collection, including 365 wooden wardrobes in storage.
The palace source also stressed the renovation was not "lavish" adding, that people will be "surprised since it is a comfortable and orderly level of furnishing" where one would "feel at home."
"And the couple was "at pains to bear down on costs. The kitchen was their idea and they were perfectly happy to pay for it," said another palace source.
Kate Middleton and Prince William's apartment renovation in Kensington Palace has been confirmed by the palace to cost a total of $7.2 million. Last year's refurbishment at $1.6 million has increased by another $4.9 million. Not to mention the cost of the asbestos removal at $700,000 ups the figure to a total of $7.2 million.
Source:YouTube/The Royal Family Channel
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks