Kate Middleton Spent $7.2M for House Renovation With Prince William
By Tanya Diente | June 30, 2014 3:06 PM EST
Kate Middleton and Prince William had decided to make additional renovations on their apartment at Kensington Palace, which summed up to a total of $7.2 million with last year's renovation.
Britain's Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge arrives at Bletchley Park near Milton Keynes in southern England June 18, 2014. The Duchess of Cambridge visited the recently restored site where British codebreakers worked during World War II to decipher encrypted messages sent by the Germans.
Kate Middleton, Prince William and their son Prince George currently occupy 1A at Kensington Palace. According to Inquisitr, the couple had decided to add some additional touches to their already renovated apartment even if it means spending an additional $4.9 million from public money.
The royal couple had recently decided to add a second kitchen to their flat as well as other purposeful refurbishments.
The apartment in Kensington Palace is actually a four-story home, with up to 30 rooms, including nine bathrooms.
According to People, part of the renovation included creating what the palace source described as a "family-style" kitchen for the couple's daily use. While the original kitchen with its wall of ovens, will be kept for official functions when Kate Middleton and Prince William entertains formally.
The palace source said there "wasn't even running water" so the bulk of the renovation budget went to essential works, from the asbestos removal costing $700,000, to rewiring and plumbing. According to inquisitr, prior to the royal couple moving into their apartment, this section of the palace where the renovations were done has not been worked on in nearly 50 years. It was mostly used as offices for official purposes.
Aside from shopping for furniture for the apartment, the couple also reused items from the Royal Collection, including 365 wooden wardrobes in storage.
The palace source also stressed the renovation was not "lavish" adding, that people will be "surprised since it is a comfortable and orderly level of furnishing" where one would "feel at home."
"And the couple was "at pains to bear down on costs. The kitchen was their idea and they were perfectly happy to pay for it," said another palace source.
Kate Middleton and Prince William's apartment renovation in Kensington Palace has been confirmed by the palace to cost a total of $7.2 million. Last year's refurbishment at $1.6 million has increased by another $4.9 million. Not to mention the cost of the asbestos removal at $700,000 ups the figure to a total of $7.2 million.
Source:YouTube/The Royal Family Channel
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports