Kate Middleton Spent $7.2M for House Renovation With Prince William
By Tanya Diente | June 30, 2014 3:06 PM EST
Kate Middleton and Prince William had decided to make additional renovations on their apartment at Kensington Palace, which summed up to a total of $7.2 million with last year's renovation.
Britain's Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge arrives at Bletchley Park near Milton Keynes in southern England June 18, 2014. The Duchess of Cambridge visited the recently restored site where British codebreakers worked during World War II to decipher encrypted messages sent by the Germans.
Kate Middleton, Prince William and their son Prince George currently occupy 1A at Kensington Palace. According to Inquisitr, the couple had decided to add some additional touches to their already renovated apartment even if it means spending an additional $4.9 million from public money.
The royal couple had recently decided to add a second kitchen to their flat as well as other purposeful refurbishments.
The apartment in Kensington Palace is actually a four-story home, with up to 30 rooms, including nine bathrooms.
According to People, part of the renovation included creating what the palace source described as a "family-style" kitchen for the couple's daily use. While the original kitchen with its wall of ovens, will be kept for official functions when Kate Middleton and Prince William entertains formally.
The palace source said there "wasn't even running water" so the bulk of the renovation budget went to essential works, from the asbestos removal costing $700,000, to rewiring and plumbing. According to inquisitr, prior to the royal couple moving into their apartment, this section of the palace where the renovations were done has not been worked on in nearly 50 years. It was mostly used as offices for official purposes.
Aside from shopping for furniture for the apartment, the couple also reused items from the Royal Collection, including 365 wooden wardrobes in storage.
The palace source also stressed the renovation was not "lavish" adding, that people will be "surprised since it is a comfortable and orderly level of furnishing" where one would "feel at home."
"And the couple was "at pains to bear down on costs. The kitchen was their idea and they were perfectly happy to pay for it," said another palace source.
Kate Middleton and Prince William's apartment renovation in Kensington Palace has been confirmed by the palace to cost a total of $7.2 million. Last year's refurbishment at $1.6 million has increased by another $4.9 million. Not to mention the cost of the asbestos removal at $700,000 ups the figure to a total of $7.2 million.
Source:YouTube/The Royal Family Channel
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How