5 Reasons Why Transformers 4 Was A Disappointment
June 30, 2014 2:27 PM EST
Transformers 4 was officially shown in theatres on June 26, 2014--and the feedback hadn't been as positive as expected. Although there were plenty of fans who looked forward to new characters and the Dinobots, there were also unhappy ones who missed previous members of the cast and did not quite get the storyline. Here are five reasons why the movie tanked for some.
A 21-foot tall model of the Transformers character Optimus Prime is displayed on the red carpet before the world premiere of the film "Transformers: Age of Extinction" in Hong Kong
1. Shia LaBeouf is gone.
Shia has established himself as the human hero of the past three films. Shia decided to say no to the fourth installment of the film. It was a void that even Mark Wahlberg could not adequately fill. Losing Megan Fox was bearable for many but watching Transformers without Shia was easily noticeable from the beginning.
2. There is nothing new with the robot fight scenes.
Director Michael Bay has gotten so good at shooting robot fight scenes that there is really nothing much to expect since the first Transformers movie. In Age of Extinction, the robots continue to bash and smash each other in the same fluid form. It is almost not exciting.
3. The Rock would have been better.
Actually, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was supposed to play the main role instead of the aging Wahlberg. However, Johnson was shooting Hercules at the time and had to decline. The Rock is a more intense and extreme character which would have been an interesting twist for the loss of the seemingly innocent and helpless Sam Witwicky, played by Shia.
4. Same old Autobots.
The story still revolves around Optimus Prime mainly. It would have been interesting to make a plot based on the other Autobots or even focus on the Decepticons' side. Fight scenes featuring Optimus Prime are also quite predictable. How tough the battle may be, the blue truck always emerges the winner.
5. It only prepares for another installment.
Some viewers thought that the filmmakers continued to prolong the storyline just so they can prepare for Transformers 5 and rake in more cash in the future. Critics said that to captivate the audience entirely, there should have been some possibilities shown that it could be the last of the series.
Overall, Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a very low 18% rating, with some critics changing their reviews after watching the film.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine