Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. Motorola Moto G (4G) – Release Date, Price, Specifications, and Features Showdown
By Pavithra Rathinavel | June 30, 2014 2:14 PM EST
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini is one of the most awaited and speculated compact smartphones of this year. In addition, this smartphone is expected to sport top features touted by the 2014 flagship Galaxy S5. Readers who are interested in purchasing the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini or the Motorola Moto G (4G), which got released in May 2014 in selected regions, should check out this specifications and price comparison.
Samsung flags are set up at the main entrance to the Berlin fair ground before the IFA consumer electronics fair in Berlin in this August 28, 2012 file photo. Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is emerging as a major player in its local debt market, buying more South Korean-issued bonds as it juggles a $60 billion cash pile. Samsung's push into private bank debt and government bonds underscores the challenges faced by the electronics giant in managing its massive cash holdings, with local banks reluctant to overload on short-term deposits from Samsung. REUTERS/Tobias Schwarz
Display and Exterior
Both the phones feature 4.5 inches display with 720 x 1,280 pixels screen resolution. In addition, both the phones share the same pixel density of 326 ppi. The display technology pertaining to Samsung and Motorola devices are Super AMOLED and IPS LCD respectively.
The Moto G boasts sharp HD display that stretches from edge-to-edge to all corners of the handset. Moreover, the Motorola handset has a plastic body, while the Galaxy S4 Mini (predecessor of Galaxy S5 Mini) sports a glossy, plastic body, thin bezel and metal band separating the screen from the battery cover; hence S5 Mini might follow suit. Nevertheless, there is no confirmation in this regard. Additionally, both the handsets come with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection.
Under the Hood
Motorola Moto G is powered by a quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 400) Cortex-A7 processor, clocked at 1.2 GHz and it comes with 1 GB of RAM. The Galaxy S5 Mini, on the other hand, is powered by a quad-core (Exynos 3 Quad chipset) Cortex-A7 CPU, clocked at 1.4 GHz. Also, the handset houses a relatively better 1.5 GB of RAM. The Moto G (4G) runs on Android OS v4.4.2 KitKat (upgradable to v4.4.3 KitKat), whereas the Galaxy S5 Mini will be running on the same Android v4.4.2 KitKat. It is worth noting that, depending on the release date, the OS versions of Galaxy S5 Mini could change.
The Moto G (4G model) comes with 8 GB or 16 GB of internal storage with microSD slot for expansion up to 32 GB. It is worth noting that, the 2013 Moto G variant does not come with microSD card support. The upcoming Galaxy S5 Mini, meanwhile, will come with 16 GB of internal memory and the handset will support microSD card for expansion up to 64 GB.
Camera and Battery
The Moto G sports a 5 MP rear-facing camera with LED Flash and a 1.3 MP front-facing camera, while the Galaxy S5 Mini will house a solid 8 MP primary camera with LED flash and a 2.1 MP secondary camera unit. When it comes to battery specification, the Motorola handset comes with a good Li-Ion 2070 mAh non-replaceable battery unit, whereas the Galaxy S5 Mini houses a similar Li-Ion 2100 mAh user-replaceable battery unit.
Connectivity and SIM
Both the phones support Bluetooth v4.0, Wi-Fi, LTE, and microUSB slots. Both the phones support micro-sim. Notably, 2013 Moto G model supports optional dual-sim mode, while the Galaxy S5 Mini is expected to follow suit. In addition, Galaxy S5 Mini supports NFC, while the Moto G doesn't.
1. The upcoming Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini handset is IP67 certified; that translates to featuring water and dust proof body.
2. In addition, the Samsung device is expected to house fingerprint scanner, and heart-rate monitor.
3. The Galaxy S5 Mini will also sport Ultra Power Saving Mode, Kids Mode, Private Mode, and KNOX, to name a few.
4. For extra protection, Moto G (4G) comes with a water-resistant coating protecting the phone inside and outside. It is worth noting that, the protection is just a coating and hence there is no IP67 certification.
Price and Launch Date
Motorola Moto G (4G) 8 GB is priced at US$219.88 in Amazon. The company Motorola has announced that Moto G 4G smartphone will be available in Australia starting early July with a price of AU$299, says AndroidOS. According to Indian Web site MySmartPrice, the expected price of Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini is Rs. 30000, which roughly translates to US$499 and AU$529. The Galaxy S5 Mini is expected to be launched in Q3 or Q4 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports