Prince Harry Becomes Emotional As He Remembers Princess Diana During Orphanage Visit
By Anne Lu | June 30, 2014 2:09 PM EST
Prince Harry still remembers Princess Diana. The British royalty was emotional after visiting young orphans in Brazil on Wednesday, saying he remembered his own mum, who died in a tragic car accident in 1997.
Britain's Prince Harry, accompanied by Sao Paulo Mayor Fernando Haddad, visits Sao Paulo's Luz neighborhood known to locals as Cracolandia (Crackland), in Sao Paulo, June 26, 2014 . REUTERS/Marcos Mendez/Pool
The 29-year-old fourth in line to the UK throne met with the orphans and their carers in a destitute area of São Paulo.
Harry, who was visiting Acer in Diadema São Paulo, admitted that he was close to “blubbing” in public when he heard their stories, saying that despite their circumstances, they are still more fortunate than many other kids.
“It seems ridiculous for me to say to these kids how lucky and fortunate they are considering their situation,” he was quoted by the Telegraph as saying.
“Obviously they are far from that. But I am only too aware by listening to their stories how many other kids there are like this that aren’t as fortunate as them.
“They have been able to be reunited with other members of their families. What this place is doing is reuniting children as young as eight years old.”
He met 41-year-old Cristina da Cruz Nascimento, a housekeeper who is raising her granddaughters eight-year-old Karina and nine-year-old Carolina after their mother was murdered in 2013 and their father was imprisoned from drug dealing charges. She is also bringing up her great niece, three-year-old Kettelyn, because her mother is a drug addict.
Harry said that the little girls’ loss made him think of his own mother’s death when he was just 12 years old.
“There are two little girls – I’m quite emotional – just looking at them I wanted to talk about my own experiences,” he continued. “But there is no point because it is just so far removed. They bravery of them looking at me, smiling at me... I wanted to use my own experiences in a very small way to try to give them a bit of understanding about the fact that I see what you’re going through. But you hear the stories and think that’s nothing to what they have been through.”
Meanwhile, the prince is set to become over £10 million richer by the time he reaches his 30th birthday on September 15. The generous amount was bequeathed by Diana before her death.
His older brother Prince William, 31, also received the same amount when he turned 30. However, when William got his share in 2012, 40 per cent of which went to inheritance tax.
“There is no way Harry would dodge the tax,” a royal insider told the Mirror.
“There are few similarities between the average person and Harry and William but when it comes to tax, they also have to pay their way. William got hit with a hefty bill when he turned 30 and so will Harry. His aides have to work out the most tax-efficient way for him to handle the money.”
Diana left £12,966,022 to her boys upon her death. The amount was reduced to £8,502,330 after death duties, but apparently, it has swelled to more than £20 million due to the clever investments of her royal advisors.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch