5 Things George RR Martin Reveals About The Next Game of Thrones Book, Winds of Winter
June 30, 2014 1:29 PM EST
The author of the well-loved (and highly controversial) Game of Thrones series George RR Martin shared that there will be new things to look forward to in the latest installment, Winds of Winter. Martin has even joined social media to get closer to fans and hopefully include some of them in the story. Here are five things that Martin revealed in his next novel.
Cast member Peter Dinklage arrives for the season four premiere of the HBO series "Game of Thrones" in New York in this March 18, 2014, file photo. The blood-filled finale of the fourth season of HBO's fantasy series "Game of Thrones" was watched by 7.1 million viewers, the network said on Monday, topping the 5.4 million people who watched last season's closing episode. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson/Files
1. More battles
According to Martin, there will be two big battles. The first will feature Ramsay Bolton against Stannis Baratheon in the North. The second will feature the attack of the Yunkai against DaenerysTargaryen. Daenerys has a huge role in the new book and has embraced the Targaryen way, thereby planning to come home.
2. More Tyrion Lannister stories
After murdering his father in the last book, Tyrion decided that he is set for a completely different fate other than being executed by his own family. Martin shared that the mighty midget will have a huge role as well in the upcoming book. He has to be as cunning and witty as always to survive the battles around. Particularly, Tyrion and the Queen will finally meet which is a hallmark for any fan of the novel.
3. Unpredictable twists
One of the things that fans adore about Game of Thrones is that no character is safe. Martin can decide to let go of a main character in a sudden twist of fate. Fans were devastated after two Starks were murdered at the Red Wedding. There will be more in the new book. Martin shared, "We have more deaths, and we have more betrayals. We have more marriages." More action is also expected at The Wall.
4. Return of the Dothraki
The horse people will be back with a huge bang. After being put into disarray due to the death of their leader KhalDrogo, the nomads were left out of many stories. They remain unforgotten, however, and it is about time they do some damage to the warring houses.
5. An eighth book
Three books in the series have been covered by the TV show. There are about two more seasons left from the existing books. Martin has about two years to finish the novel so that screenwriters can make a script and start filming. Filming takes about a year per season. The author gave hints that there might be an eighth book, although he already knows who will be the king ultimately from the beginning.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists