5 Things George RR Martin Reveals About The Next Game of Thrones Book, Winds of Winter
June 30, 2014 1:29 PM EST
The author of the well-loved (and highly controversial) Game of Thrones series George RR Martin shared that there will be new things to look forward to in the latest installment, Winds of Winter. Martin has even joined social media to get closer to fans and hopefully include some of them in the story. Here are five things that Martin revealed in his next novel.
Cast member Peter Dinklage arrives for the season four premiere of the HBO series "Game of Thrones" in New York in this March 18, 2014, file photo. The blood-filled finale of the fourth season of HBO's fantasy series "Game of Thrones" was watched by 7.1 million viewers, the network said on Monday, topping the 5.4 million people who watched last season's closing episode. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson/Files
1. More battles
According to Martin, there will be two big battles. The first will feature Ramsay Bolton against Stannis Baratheon in the North. The second will feature the attack of the Yunkai against DaenerysTargaryen. Daenerys has a huge role in the new book and has embraced the Targaryen way, thereby planning to come home.
2. More Tyrion Lannister stories
After murdering his father in the last book, Tyrion decided that he is set for a completely different fate other than being executed by his own family. Martin shared that the mighty midget will have a huge role as well in the upcoming book. He has to be as cunning and witty as always to survive the battles around. Particularly, Tyrion and the Queen will finally meet which is a hallmark for any fan of the novel.
3. Unpredictable twists
One of the things that fans adore about Game of Thrones is that no character is safe. Martin can decide to let go of a main character in a sudden twist of fate. Fans were devastated after two Starks were murdered at the Red Wedding. There will be more in the new book. Martin shared, "We have more deaths, and we have more betrayals. We have more marriages." More action is also expected at The Wall.
4. Return of the Dothraki
The horse people will be back with a huge bang. After being put into disarray due to the death of their leader KhalDrogo, the nomads were left out of many stories. They remain unforgotten, however, and it is about time they do some damage to the warring houses.
5. An eighth book
Three books in the series have been covered by the TV show. There are about two more seasons left from the existing books. Martin has about two years to finish the novel so that screenwriters can make a script and start filming. Filming takes about a year per season. The author gave hints that there might be an eighth book, although he already knows who will be the king ultimately from the beginning.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS