Twitter Followers Increase after Sherlock, Molly Kiss Scene, More of Molly in Sherlock Season 4 [VIDEO]
By Anshu Shrivastava | June 30, 2014 1:00 PM EST
The much talked about premiere episode of "Sherlock" Season 3, "The Empty Hearse," featured the kiss between Sherlock [Benedict Cumberbatch] and Molly Hooper [Louise Brealey]. The scene was part of one of Anderson's theories about how Sherlock must have escaped his death. In the scene, Sherlock, who is tied to a bungee jumping chord, smashes through the window to enter Molly's lab. Before walking away from there, Sherlock smooches Molly. Brealey saw an increase in her followers on Twitter after this kiss scene was aired.
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch smiles as he arrives at the 2014 Vanity Fair Oscars Party in West Hollywood, California March 3, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
"I got 7,000 Twitter followers within five minutes of that kiss airing. It had doubled by the time the episode ended," Brealey said to Radio Times. "It went completely crackers when the show came out."
"Sherlock" fans are a possessive lot, as Amanda Abbington, who plays Mary in "Sherlock" found out. The actress reportedly received death threats, as the fans feared that her character would come between Sherlock and Watson and ruin their relationship.
"I got, 'She should die. How dare she play Mary Morstan? How dare she!'," Abbington had said to Mirror. "They take the John and Sherlock storyline so seriously that they wouldn't want anyone coming between them."
However for Brealey, it was a different experience. She received a lot of comments on Twitter but there were no death threats. They were congratulatory tweets, according to the actress. This perhaps has to do with fans not seeing Molly as a threat.
"She's unthreatening. She's an ordinary woman experiencing the agony of unrequited love, and most of us have been there," Brealey said.
Molly is expected to have more screen time in "Sherlock" Season 4. After Season 3 wrapped-up, Steven Moffat, co-creator of "Sherlock," had indicated that Molly will become an important part of the show.
"One difficulty in adapting Sherlock Holmes is that there are no women in the original stories. You really do not have the female perspective on them and they are a little flat when they show up. Yet, every time a woman appears in Sherlock, it works hugely well," Moffat had said to TV Guide.
Meanwhile, the filming of "Sherlock" Season 4 is yet to begin. According to reports, it is the busy acting schedule of Cumberbach and Martin Freeman that is delaying the filming of the new season.
Here is the Kiss Scene between Sherlock and Molly:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast