Twitter Followers Increase after Sherlock, Molly Kiss Scene, More of Molly in Sherlock Season 4 [VIDEO]
By Anshu Shrivastava | June 30, 2014 1:00 PM EST
The much talked about premiere episode of "Sherlock" Season 3, "The Empty Hearse," featured the kiss between Sherlock [Benedict Cumberbatch] and Molly Hooper [Louise Brealey]. The scene was part of one of Anderson's theories about how Sherlock must have escaped his death. In the scene, Sherlock, who is tied to a bungee jumping chord, smashes through the window to enter Molly's lab. Before walking away from there, Sherlock smooches Molly. Brealey saw an increase in her followers on Twitter after this kiss scene was aired.
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch smiles as he arrives at the 2014 Vanity Fair Oscars Party in West Hollywood, California March 3, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
"I got 7,000 Twitter followers within five minutes of that kiss airing. It had doubled by the time the episode ended," Brealey said to Radio Times. "It went completely crackers when the show came out."
"Sherlock" fans are a possessive lot, as Amanda Abbington, who plays Mary in "Sherlock" found out. The actress reportedly received death threats, as the fans feared that her character would come between Sherlock and Watson and ruin their relationship.
"I got, 'She should die. How dare she play Mary Morstan? How dare she!'," Abbington had said to Mirror. "They take the John and Sherlock storyline so seriously that they wouldn't want anyone coming between them."
However for Brealey, it was a different experience. She received a lot of comments on Twitter but there were no death threats. They were congratulatory tweets, according to the actress. This perhaps has to do with fans not seeing Molly as a threat.
"She's unthreatening. She's an ordinary woman experiencing the agony of unrequited love, and most of us have been there," Brealey said.
Molly is expected to have more screen time in "Sherlock" Season 4. After Season 3 wrapped-up, Steven Moffat, co-creator of "Sherlock," had indicated that Molly will become an important part of the show.
"One difficulty in adapting Sherlock Holmes is that there are no women in the original stories. You really do not have the female perspective on them and they are a little flat when they show up. Yet, every time a woman appears in Sherlock, it works hugely well," Moffat had said to TV Guide.
Meanwhile, the filming of "Sherlock" Season 4 is yet to begin. According to reports, it is the busy acting schedule of Cumberbach and Martin Freeman that is delaying the filming of the new season.
Here is the Kiss Scene between Sherlock and Molly:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan