Twitter Followers Increase after Sherlock, Molly Kiss Scene, More of Molly in Sherlock Season 4 [VIDEO]
By Anshu Shrivastava | June 30, 2014 1:00 PM EST
The much talked about premiere episode of "Sherlock" Season 3, "The Empty Hearse," featured the kiss between Sherlock [Benedict Cumberbatch] and Molly Hooper [Louise Brealey]. The scene was part of one of Anderson's theories about how Sherlock must have escaped his death. In the scene, Sherlock, who is tied to a bungee jumping chord, smashes through the window to enter Molly's lab. Before walking away from there, Sherlock smooches Molly. Brealey saw an increase in her followers on Twitter after this kiss scene was aired.
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch smiles as he arrives at the 2014 Vanity Fair Oscars Party in West Hollywood, California March 3, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
"I got 7,000 Twitter followers within five minutes of that kiss airing. It had doubled by the time the episode ended," Brealey said to Radio Times. "It went completely crackers when the show came out."
"Sherlock" fans are a possessive lot, as Amanda Abbington, who plays Mary in "Sherlock" found out. The actress reportedly received death threats, as the fans feared that her character would come between Sherlock and Watson and ruin their relationship.
"I got, 'She should die. How dare she play Mary Morstan? How dare she!'," Abbington had said to Mirror. "They take the John and Sherlock storyline so seriously that they wouldn't want anyone coming between them."
However for Brealey, it was a different experience. She received a lot of comments on Twitter but there were no death threats. They were congratulatory tweets, according to the actress. This perhaps has to do with fans not seeing Molly as a threat.
"She's unthreatening. She's an ordinary woman experiencing the agony of unrequited love, and most of us have been there," Brealey said.
Molly is expected to have more screen time in "Sherlock" Season 4. After Season 3 wrapped-up, Steven Moffat, co-creator of "Sherlock," had indicated that Molly will become an important part of the show.
"One difficulty in adapting Sherlock Holmes is that there are no women in the original stories. You really do not have the female perspective on them and they are a little flat when they show up. Yet, every time a woman appears in Sherlock, it works hugely well," Moffat had said to TV Guide.
Meanwhile, the filming of "Sherlock" Season 4 is yet to begin. According to reports, it is the busy acting schedule of Cumberbach and Martin Freeman that is delaying the filming of the new season.
Here is the Kiss Scene between Sherlock and Molly:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- American Horror Story Season 4 Freak Show to Feature Scariest Villain, Names of Season 4 Characters Revealed
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’