How To Catch Up On the 2014 NBA Draft: This Year's Top 5 Picks
June 30, 2014 12:59 PM EST
The 2014 NBA Draft held on June 26, 2014 promised to feature a pool of very talented and athletic individuals -- and how it delivered! It has been a while since the NBA experienced such a unique pool. Also, the Cleveland Cavaliers, despite having less than two percent chance of winning the draft lottery, did it again and got the No. 1 pick for the third time in four years. Here are the top five.
Jun 26, 2014; Brooklyn, NY, USA; NBA commissioner Adam Silver poses for a photo with draft prospects in attendance before the 2014 NBA Draft at the Barclays Center.
1. Andrew Wiggins
The Cleveland Cavaliers was given an A rating for making a good choice in the draft. Previously, the Cavs were frowned upon by NBA experts for blowing their chances. They stayed with the consistent and smart player and went with Andrew Wiggins. He is very athletic and can hit from long range. He is also excellent at defense but is expected to grow stronger and bigger in the next few years. Should he mature enough, he can be the next LeBron James.
2. Jabari Parker
The Milwaukee Bucks picked Parker at with their second pick, which was also a consistent choice. Based on polls, the top two picks would be Wiggins and Parker. Parker is a very versatile player with a high basketball IQ. He can also help the Bucks rebound although he needs to work more on his defense. He appears very much like a young Carmelo Anthony.
3. Joel Embiid
Embiid was projected to be the No. 1 pick as well until he developed back issues during training. The Philadelphia 76ers nevertheless took a risk and saw through his potential. Embiid is a huge and explosive player. He can block shots and rebounds a lot. He still lacks experience though and there is no certainty if his back issues will be gone permanently.
4. Aaron Gordon
It was an unexpected move for the Orlando Magic to pick Gordon, over Dante Exum, considering that they needed a point guard. However, there are talks that the Magic will enter a deal with another team who needs Gordon more. Gordon is a huge power forward, standing 6 feet and 9 inches with a wingspan of seven feet. He is explosive and plays smart and fundamental basketball. He could be the next Tim Duncan or Kenneth Faried.
5. Dante Exum
The Utah Jazz must have sighed a huge relief when the Magic picked Gordon. There is a lot of hype going around the point guard who flew in all the way from Australia. He has excellent ball handling skills and is very athletic. He is rather big for a point guard at 6 feet and 6 inches, which is an advantage. He appears much like Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook and can be one of the top players of the future if he gets stronger and improve his long range shooting.
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best