NBA News: Raptors Get Lou Williams; Hawks Receive John Salmons in Trade
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 30, 2014 12:40 PM EST
The Toronto Raptors have acquired veteran swingman Lou Williams and Lucas Nogueira by sending John Salmons to the Atlanta Hawks, a source close to situation reported on Sunday.
ESPN's Marc Stein reported the Raptors acquired Williams and Nogueira by sending Salmons, one of several players sent by the Sacramento Kings in the Rudy Gay trade last season.
NBA: Playoffs-Indiana Pacers at Atlanta Hawks
"ESPN has learned that Toronto Raptors are in advanced trade discussions to deal John Salmons to Atlanta for Lou Williams," Stein posted on his Twitter account hours before the deal was hammered.
According to NBA analysts, the Hawks' move to acquire Salmons is considered a cash-saving move as they attempt to get an elite free-agent this summer. Atlanta can save $4.5 million in cap space by not exercising their option on Salmons' $7 million salary next season.
"Salmons' contract is non-guaranteed to the Hawks will play only $1 million of his $7 million salary, creating $4.5 million in cap space. The Raptors didn't have a first round pick in 2013 due to the Kyle Lowry trade, so Nogueria effectively becomes that player," via Real GM.
Meanwhile, the Raptors get a serviceable wingman in Williams, who can become their assurance if they are not able to re-sign point guard Kyle Lowry. The Raps also received 7-foot project Nogueira, the 16th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft.
"Williams gives the Raptors a veteran guard and some depth and insurance should they fail to re-sign free agent guard Kyle Lowry. Nogueira, a 7-foot Brazilian, was the 16th overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft, and played in the Spanish ACB League this season. He's a young, active center who's considered a long-term project," via Yahoo Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report