NBA News: Raptors Get Lou Williams; Hawks Receive John Salmons in Trade
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 30, 2014 12:40 PM EST
The Toronto Raptors have acquired veteran swingman Lou Williams and Lucas Nogueira by sending John Salmons to the Atlanta Hawks, a source close to situation reported on Sunday.
ESPN's Marc Stein reported the Raptors acquired Williams and Nogueira by sending Salmons, one of several players sent by the Sacramento Kings in the Rudy Gay trade last season.
NBA: Playoffs-Indiana Pacers at Atlanta Hawks
"ESPN has learned that Toronto Raptors are in advanced trade discussions to deal John Salmons to Atlanta for Lou Williams," Stein posted on his Twitter account hours before the deal was hammered.
According to NBA analysts, the Hawks' move to acquire Salmons is considered a cash-saving move as they attempt to get an elite free-agent this summer. Atlanta can save $4.5 million in cap space by not exercising their option on Salmons' $7 million salary next season.
"Salmons' contract is non-guaranteed to the Hawks will play only $1 million of his $7 million salary, creating $4.5 million in cap space. The Raptors didn't have a first round pick in 2013 due to the Kyle Lowry trade, so Nogueria effectively becomes that player," via Real GM.
Meanwhile, the Raptors get a serviceable wingman in Williams, who can become their assurance if they are not able to re-sign point guard Kyle Lowry. The Raps also received 7-foot project Nogueira, the 16th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft.
"Williams gives the Raptors a veteran guard and some depth and insurance should they fail to re-sign free agent guard Kyle Lowry. Nogueira, a 7-foot Brazilian, was the 16th overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft, and played in the Spanish ACB League this season. He's a young, active center who's considered a long-term project," via Yahoo Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report