NBA News: Raptors Get Lou Williams; Hawks Receive John Salmons in Trade
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 30, 2014 12:40 PM EST
The Toronto Raptors have acquired veteran swingman Lou Williams and Lucas Nogueira by sending John Salmons to the Atlanta Hawks, a source close to situation reported on Sunday.
ESPN's Marc Stein reported the Raptors acquired Williams and Nogueira by sending Salmons, one of several players sent by the Sacramento Kings in the Rudy Gay trade last season.
NBA: Playoffs-Indiana Pacers at Atlanta Hawks
"ESPN has learned that Toronto Raptors are in advanced trade discussions to deal John Salmons to Atlanta for Lou Williams," Stein posted on his Twitter account hours before the deal was hammered.
According to NBA analysts, the Hawks' move to acquire Salmons is considered a cash-saving move as they attempt to get an elite free-agent this summer. Atlanta can save $4.5 million in cap space by not exercising their option on Salmons' $7 million salary next season.
"Salmons' contract is non-guaranteed to the Hawks will play only $1 million of his $7 million salary, creating $4.5 million in cap space. The Raptors didn't have a first round pick in 2013 due to the Kyle Lowry trade, so Nogueria effectively becomes that player," via Real GM.
Meanwhile, the Raptors get a serviceable wingman in Williams, who can become their assurance if they are not able to re-sign point guard Kyle Lowry. The Raps also received 7-foot project Nogueira, the 16th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft.
"Williams gives the Raptors a veteran guard and some depth and insurance should they fail to re-sign free agent guard Kyle Lowry. Nogueira, a 7-foot Brazilian, was the 16th overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft, and played in the Spanish ACB League this season. He's a young, active center who's considered a long-term project," via Yahoo Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- Australian Liberals Urge Expat Kiwis To Favour John Key In New Zealand Election