NBA News: Raptors Get Lou Williams; Hawks Receive John Salmons in Trade
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 30, 2014 12:40 PM EST
The Toronto Raptors have acquired veteran swingman Lou Williams and Lucas Nogueira by sending John Salmons to the Atlanta Hawks, a source close to situation reported on Sunday.
ESPN's Marc Stein reported the Raptors acquired Williams and Nogueira by sending Salmons, one of several players sent by the Sacramento Kings in the Rudy Gay trade last season.
NBA: Playoffs-Indiana Pacers at Atlanta Hawks
"ESPN has learned that Toronto Raptors are in advanced trade discussions to deal John Salmons to Atlanta for Lou Williams," Stein posted on his Twitter account hours before the deal was hammered.
According to NBA analysts, the Hawks' move to acquire Salmons is considered a cash-saving move as they attempt to get an elite free-agent this summer. Atlanta can save $4.5 million in cap space by not exercising their option on Salmons' $7 million salary next season.
"Salmons' contract is non-guaranteed to the Hawks will play only $1 million of his $7 million salary, creating $4.5 million in cap space. The Raptors didn't have a first round pick in 2013 due to the Kyle Lowry trade, so Nogueria effectively becomes that player," via Real GM.
Meanwhile, the Raptors get a serviceable wingman in Williams, who can become their assurance if they are not able to re-sign point guard Kyle Lowry. The Raps also received 7-foot project Nogueira, the 16th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft.
"Williams gives the Raptors a veteran guard and some depth and insurance should they fail to re-sign free agent guard Kyle Lowry. Nogueira, a 7-foot Brazilian, was the 16th overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft, and played in the Spanish ACB League this season. He's a young, active center who's considered a long-term project," via Yahoo Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June