NBA News: Raptors Get Lou Williams; Hawks Receive John Salmons in Trade
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 30, 2014 12:40 PM EST
The Toronto Raptors have acquired veteran swingman Lou Williams and Lucas Nogueira by sending John Salmons to the Atlanta Hawks, a source close to situation reported on Sunday.
ESPN's Marc Stein reported the Raptors acquired Williams and Nogueira by sending Salmons, one of several players sent by the Sacramento Kings in the Rudy Gay trade last season.
NBA: Playoffs-Indiana Pacers at Atlanta Hawks
"ESPN has learned that Toronto Raptors are in advanced trade discussions to deal John Salmons to Atlanta for Lou Williams," Stein posted on his Twitter account hours before the deal was hammered.
According to NBA analysts, the Hawks' move to acquire Salmons is considered a cash-saving move as they attempt to get an elite free-agent this summer. Atlanta can save $4.5 million in cap space by not exercising their option on Salmons' $7 million salary next season.
"Salmons' contract is non-guaranteed to the Hawks will play only $1 million of his $7 million salary, creating $4.5 million in cap space. The Raptors didn't have a first round pick in 2013 due to the Kyle Lowry trade, so Nogueria effectively becomes that player," via Real GM.
Meanwhile, the Raptors get a serviceable wingman in Williams, who can become their assurance if they are not able to re-sign point guard Kyle Lowry. The Raps also received 7-foot project Nogueira, the 16th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft.
"Williams gives the Raptors a veteran guard and some depth and insurance should they fail to re-sign free agent guard Kyle Lowry. Nogueira, a 7-foot Brazilian, was the 16th overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft, and played in the Spanish ACB League this season. He's a young, active center who's considered a long-term project," via Yahoo Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Emmys 2014 Projected Winners: Betting Odds Favour “Orange is the New Black”, “Breaking Bad”
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza