NBA News: Gasol-Anthony Combo in New York; Reunion with Jackson, Fisher Possible
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 30, 2014 11:56 AM EST
A Pau Gasol, Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher reunion could be in place in New York with the Knicks reportedly interested in signing the Spanish big man, a move that can sway free agent Carmelo Anthony to re-sign with the Big Apple franchise.
NBA: Charlotte Bobcats at Los Angeles Lakers
According to ESPN.COM’s Marc Stein, Jackson is expected to lure Gasol, who is an unrestricted free agent by July 1 and who last played for the Los Angeles Lakers, the former teams of Jackson and Fisher.
Jackson has been more than active so far in his first month as the Knicks’ team president. He hired former ward in Fisher to run the team as head coach and delivered the first major trade of the offseason by dealing away Tyson Chandler and his big contract to the Dallas Mavericks. The latter move saved the N.Y. franchise some money moving forward although they still have a big payroll that will limit their chances at other big name free agents.
Acquiring Gasol should be a good start in convincing Anthony to stay. However, the Knicks only have $4M to offer the Spaniard and will need him to take a pay cut if he wants to reunite with his former coach and former teammate in New York.
Gasol could be attracted to the reunion with Jackson and Fisher; and a possible team-up with a star like Anthony. However, other teams have more ammunition financially and the Spaniard might choose to get paid as he’s hitting the twilight of his career.
Gasol is entering his 14th NBA season and has played the last six and a half seasons with the Lakers. The 33-year-old averaged 17.4 points and 9.7 rebounds in 60 games for L.A. in the 2013-2014 NBA season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS