9 People Injured in New Orleans Gunfire, 1 Woman Critical
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 30, 2014 10:41 AM EST
Nine people were injured in early morning gunfire on Bourbon Street in New Orleans on Sunday, June 29. The shooting took place at around 3 o'clock in the morning.
A mounted policeman reacts as revelers surround his horse on Bourbon Street, located in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana on June 7, 2014.
The gunfire victims were rushed to a local hospital. One of them, who is a woman, is reported to be in critical condition. Seven of them are stable at the moment while another had to undergo surgery. According to police spokesman Frank Robertson, suspect information are presently been developing as police have been processing lots of information related to the case.
The shooting took place at the 700 block of the street, two blocks from Jackson Square. The place is close to Preservation Hall and Pat O'Brien's. The place tends to be heavily crowded as there are several regular tourists who frequent clubs and bars in the area. Many people got inside St. Ann to save themselves. According to local residents, the shooting is an unprecedented incident in the area. There was hardly ever such incident in the locality. Some of the residents presumed that they heard fireworks.
According to Ronal Serpas, the Superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department, the shooting could have been caused by two young men who were involved in a heated discussion. While those two attempted hurting each other, their reckless shooting put other people's lives at risk. "This is a heinous crime. These are two young men, both armed with firearms, who chose to settle a dispute between themselves without a moment's care for anyone else," he said. "I hope that they are listening. I hope that their friends are listening. I hope their moms and they are listening."
Police have been asking people if there is any eyewitness who can provide any information which may help catch those two people. At the moment, surveillance videos and other evidence are being reviewed to get further information. However, Serpas said that police were not able to establish any confirmed motive behind the shooting yet.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS