9 People Injured in New Orleans Gunfire, 1 Woman Critical
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 30, 2014 10:41 AM EST
Nine people were injured in early morning gunfire on Bourbon Street in New Orleans on Sunday, June 29. The shooting took place at around 3 o'clock in the morning.
A mounted policeman reacts as revelers surround his horse on Bourbon Street, located in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana on June 7, 2014.
The gunfire victims were rushed to a local hospital. One of them, who is a woman, is reported to be in critical condition. Seven of them are stable at the moment while another had to undergo surgery. According to police spokesman Frank Robertson, suspect information are presently been developing as police have been processing lots of information related to the case.
The shooting took place at the 700 block of the street, two blocks from Jackson Square. The place is close to Preservation Hall and Pat O'Brien's. The place tends to be heavily crowded as there are several regular tourists who frequent clubs and bars in the area. Many people got inside St. Ann to save themselves. According to local residents, the shooting is an unprecedented incident in the area. There was hardly ever such incident in the locality. Some of the residents presumed that they heard fireworks.
According to Ronal Serpas, the Superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department, the shooting could have been caused by two young men who were involved in a heated discussion. While those two attempted hurting each other, their reckless shooting put other people's lives at risk. "This is a heinous crime. These are two young men, both armed with firearms, who chose to settle a dispute between themselves without a moment's care for anyone else," he said. "I hope that they are listening. I hope that their friends are listening. I hope their moms and they are listening."
Police have been asking people if there is any eyewitness who can provide any information which may help catch those two people. At the moment, surveillance videos and other evidence are being reviewed to get further information. However, Serpas said that police were not able to establish any confirmed motive behind the shooting yet.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier