9 People Injured in New Orleans Gunfire, 1 Woman Critical
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 30, 2014 10:41 AM EST
Nine people were injured in early morning gunfire on Bourbon Street in New Orleans on Sunday, June 29. The shooting took place at around 3 o'clock in the morning.
A mounted policeman reacts as revelers surround his horse on Bourbon Street, located in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana on June 7, 2014.
The gunfire victims were rushed to a local hospital. One of them, who is a woman, is reported to be in critical condition. Seven of them are stable at the moment while another had to undergo surgery. According to police spokesman Frank Robertson, suspect information are presently been developing as police have been processing lots of information related to the case.
The shooting took place at the 700 block of the street, two blocks from Jackson Square. The place is close to Preservation Hall and Pat O'Brien's. The place tends to be heavily crowded as there are several regular tourists who frequent clubs and bars in the area. Many people got inside St. Ann to save themselves. According to local residents, the shooting is an unprecedented incident in the area. There was hardly ever such incident in the locality. Some of the residents presumed that they heard fireworks.
According to Ronal Serpas, the Superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department, the shooting could have been caused by two young men who were involved in a heated discussion. While those two attempted hurting each other, their reckless shooting put other people's lives at risk. "This is a heinous crime. These are two young men, both armed with firearms, who chose to settle a dispute between themselves without a moment's care for anyone else," he said. "I hope that they are listening. I hope that their friends are listening. I hope their moms and they are listening."
Police have been asking people if there is any eyewitness who can provide any information which may help catch those two people. At the moment, surveillance videos and other evidence are being reviewed to get further information. However, Serpas said that police were not able to establish any confirmed motive behind the shooting yet.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William And Kate Middleton Complete NYC Tour Itinerary [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Acquiring Nuclear Weapons A Game-Changer For Obama As UN Warns of Militants' Two-Year Supply of Weapons
- Viral Video Wife Rapping Salt-N-Pepa Song: Husband's Video Recording Of Wife Rapping 'None Of Your Business' Goes Viral
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- ‘World's Sexiest Criminal’ Says Sorry, Agrees to ‘Face Consequences’
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Germany, Not U.S., Is The World’s Favorite Country; UK, Canada, Australia Maintain Top 10 Spots