9 People Injured in New Orleans Gunfire, 1 Woman Critical
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 30, 2014 10:41 AM EST
Nine people were injured in early morning gunfire on Bourbon Street in New Orleans on Sunday, June 29. The shooting took place at around 3 o'clock in the morning.
A mounted policeman reacts as revelers surround his horse on Bourbon Street, located in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana on June 7, 2014.
The gunfire victims were rushed to a local hospital. One of them, who is a woman, is reported to be in critical condition. Seven of them are stable at the moment while another had to undergo surgery. According to police spokesman Frank Robertson, suspect information are presently been developing as police have been processing lots of information related to the case.
The shooting took place at the 700 block of the street, two blocks from Jackson Square. The place is close to Preservation Hall and Pat O'Brien's. The place tends to be heavily crowded as there are several regular tourists who frequent clubs and bars in the area. Many people got inside St. Ann to save themselves. According to local residents, the shooting is an unprecedented incident in the area. There was hardly ever such incident in the locality. Some of the residents presumed that they heard fireworks.
According to Ronal Serpas, the Superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department, the shooting could have been caused by two young men who were involved in a heated discussion. While those two attempted hurting each other, their reckless shooting put other people's lives at risk. "This is a heinous crime. These are two young men, both armed with firearms, who chose to settle a dispute between themselves without a moment's care for anyone else," he said. "I hope that they are listening. I hope that their friends are listening. I hope their moms and they are listening."
Police have been asking people if there is any eyewitness who can provide any information which may help catch those two people. At the moment, surveillance videos and other evidence are being reviewed to get further information. However, Serpas said that police were not able to establish any confirmed motive behind the shooting yet.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans