9 People Injured in New Orleans Gunfire, 1 Woman Critical
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 30, 2014 10:41 AM EST
Nine people were injured in early morning gunfire on Bourbon Street in New Orleans on Sunday, June 29. The shooting took place at around 3 o'clock in the morning.
A mounted policeman reacts as revelers surround his horse on Bourbon Street, located in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana on June 7, 2014.
The gunfire victims were rushed to a local hospital. One of them, who is a woman, is reported to be in critical condition. Seven of them are stable at the moment while another had to undergo surgery. According to police spokesman Frank Robertson, suspect information are presently been developing as police have been processing lots of information related to the case.
The shooting took place at the 700 block of the street, two blocks from Jackson Square. The place is close to Preservation Hall and Pat O'Brien's. The place tends to be heavily crowded as there are several regular tourists who frequent clubs and bars in the area. Many people got inside St. Ann to save themselves. According to local residents, the shooting is an unprecedented incident in the area. There was hardly ever such incident in the locality. Some of the residents presumed that they heard fireworks.
According to Ronal Serpas, the Superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department, the shooting could have been caused by two young men who were involved in a heated discussion. While those two attempted hurting each other, their reckless shooting put other people's lives at risk. "This is a heinous crime. These are two young men, both armed with firearms, who chose to settle a dispute between themselves without a moment's care for anyone else," he said. "I hope that they are listening. I hope that their friends are listening. I hope their moms and they are listening."
Police have been asking people if there is any eyewitness who can provide any information which may help catch those two people. At the moment, surveillance videos and other evidence are being reviewed to get further information. However, Serpas said that police were not able to establish any confirmed motive behind the shooting yet.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales