Cronulla Sharks Sack Todd Carney Over Lewd Photo, Fans Storm on Twitter
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | June 30, 2014 10:29 AM EST
Cronulla Sharks sacked its star player Todd Carney over a lewd photo showing himself urinating in a public toilet with the urine going into his mouth on Saturday evening. Fans who have watched the photo stormed to the social media Twitter in various forms of reactions.
According to an article from Daily Mail, Cronulla Sharks Chief Executive Steve Noyce released the statement on Sunday night confirming the end of Carney's $650,000 a year contract which was supposedly until the end of 2018 season.
"The Cronulla Shark Football Club has today after careful consideration and lengthy deliberation, including discussions with senior NRL management, made a decision to terminate Todd Carney's NRL playing contract effective immediately," the statement reads.
The club's statement further stated that Todd Carney was well aware of his responsibilities both on and off the field, to himself, the club, and to the game in general. The statement also read that Carney's vulgar photo that appeared on the social media on Saturday night did not meet the values and standards that the club is looking to uphold and take into the future. The statement added that the Cronulla Sharks is committed to building a successful club with strong values which sets and respects high standards in all aspects of its operations and activities.
Beginning Sunday night, the club will work with Carney, his family, and his management to implement appropriate counseling and support.
Carney's latest injudiciousness leads to the fans storming on the social media Twitter with varios reactions. One user @MisterTaxman stated that Todd Carney's sacking just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. The Wee was bit harsh as he was only doing a drug test selfie.
Another Twitter user @thebrockmurley stated: "He might have been sacked from an onfield sport, but look on the bright side, he has a great future in water sports." Still another user @RacyLeeJones stated that at first she cringed, then she said ewww, then laughed hysterically.
The toilet incident on Saturday night was Carney's latest career blunder which has been blemished with alcohol-related issues in the past.
In 2009, Todd Carney was banned from playing in the NRL during his stint at Canberra due to repeated alcohol-related incidents. He was also sacked from Sydney Roosters in 2012 for breaking the ban on alcohol in 2011 which was issued by the club.
Read the tweets below:
Todd Carney's sacking just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Wee bit harsh as he was only doing a drug test selfie #pissgate
— Adrian Raftery (@MisterTaxman) June 29, 2014
He might have been sacked from an onfield sport, but look on the bright side, he has a great future in water sports. #ToddCarney #pissgate — brock murley (@thebrockmurley) June 29, 2014
— ✌ Racy ✌ (@RacyLeeJones) April 15, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones