World Cup News: Dutch Winger Admits to 'Diving,' Mexican Skipper Calls Him a 'Cheat'
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 30, 2014 10:24 AM EST
Netherlands winger Arjen Robben admitted that he "took the plunge" against Mexico during the round-of-16 of the World Cup. The only problem was:he did it literally.
“I have to apologise. In the first half I took a dive.” - Arjen Robben
The Bayern Munich man was rewarded for his theatrics during extra-time to steal the game and book them a place in the quarter-finals. While he took time to apologise via Dutch television after the game, the damage has been done.
"I have to apologise. In the first half I took a dive," said the 30-year-old.
"The one at the end was a penalty."
Meanwhile, Mexican skipper Rafael Marquez was furious about the incident, which he felt robbed them of a fair opportunity to progress further in the competition.
"Robben dived three times," said Marquez.
"You should caution a guy who is trying to cheat, and then if Robben did it again he would be sent off."
The El Tri squad will be taking their vacation, so to speak, after besting Croatia and Cameroon in Group A to secure the second spot with seven points, only behind leaders Brazil on goal difference, while the Netherlands will be taking on Costa Rica in the quarter-finals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More