World Cup News: Dutch Winger Admits to 'Diving,' Mexican Skipper Calls Him a 'Cheat'
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 30, 2014 10:24 AM EST
Netherlands winger Arjen Robben admitted that he "took the plunge" against Mexico during the round-of-16 of the World Cup. The only problem was:he did it literally.
“I have to apologise. In the first half I took a dive.” - Arjen Robben
The Bayern Munich man was rewarded for his theatrics during extra-time to steal the game and book them a place in the quarter-finals. While he took time to apologise via Dutch television after the game, the damage has been done.
"I have to apologise. In the first half I took a dive," said the 30-year-old.
"The one at the end was a penalty."
Meanwhile, Mexican skipper Rafael Marquez was furious about the incident, which he felt robbed them of a fair opportunity to progress further in the competition.
"Robben dived three times," said Marquez.
"You should caution a guy who is trying to cheat, and then if Robben did it again he would be sent off."
The El Tri squad will be taking their vacation, so to speak, after besting Croatia and Cameroon in Group A to secure the second spot with seven points, only behind leaders Brazil on goal difference, while the Netherlands will be taking on Costa Rica in the quarter-finals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- NBA Preview: Milwaukee Bucks Look to Develop Youngsters Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'