World Cup News: Dutch Winger Admits to 'Diving,' Mexican Skipper Calls Him a 'Cheat'
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 30, 2014 10:24 AM EST
Netherlands winger Arjen Robben admitted that he "took the plunge" against Mexico during the round-of-16 of the World Cup. The only problem was:he did it literally.
“I have to apologise. In the first half I took a dive.” - Arjen Robben
The Bayern Munich man was rewarded for his theatrics during extra-time to steal the game and book them a place in the quarter-finals. While he took time to apologise via Dutch television after the game, the damage has been done.
"I have to apologise. In the first half I took a dive," said the 30-year-old.
"The one at the end was a penalty."
Meanwhile, Mexican skipper Rafael Marquez was furious about the incident, which he felt robbed them of a fair opportunity to progress further in the competition.
"Robben dived three times," said Marquez.
"You should caution a guy who is trying to cheat, and then if Robben did it again he would be sent off."
The El Tri squad will be taking their vacation, so to speak, after besting Croatia and Cameroon in Group A to secure the second spot with seven points, only behind leaders Brazil on goal difference, while the Netherlands will be taking on Costa Rica in the quarter-finals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR - Preview and Live Streaming Link
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Mayweather To Add $32 Million To Wealth Regardless Of Result Of Maidana Rematch
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Moto X Pure Edition is Coming Soon with Wi-Fi Calling – Reports
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List