How to use Tablet as Main Computer
By Karla Danica Figuerres | June 30, 2014 10:15 AM EST
The day that tablets will take over from the laptops is yet to emerge but with some tips and tricks you can configure your tablet and make is as your main computer. With the longer battery life, instant boot-up and the lighter weight of tablet, the building blocks of a productivity device are already set.
Philip W. Schiller, Senior Vice President of worldwide marketing at Apple Inc, introduces the new iPad mini with retina display during an Apple event in San Francisco, California October 22, 2013.
Here are the ways to use a tablet as main computer.
Choose a Tablet - First things first, you need to choose a tablet. Two of the best tablets in the market today are the Apple iPad Air and the Google Nexus 10. You can have the iPad at $499 for the 16GB model while the Google Nexus 10 is relatively cheaper at $399 for the 16GB model and $499 32GB model.
You have to keep in mind that using a tablet as a main computer means a couple of compromise. For one, you will be working on a significantly smaller screen. However, most high-end tablets in the market today offer sky-high screen resolutions which means that you are not actually losing the ability to accomplish ultra-detailed work.
Furthermore, the tablet you choose dictates the accessories that you can incorporate with the device. For instance, the Google Nexus 10 supports USB OTG (USB on-the-go) which allows users to connect mouse, flash drive and a wired keyboard.
Add a Keyboard - While both iOS and Android tablets provide onscreen keys, for serious main computer data entry, you will definitely need a keyboard for your tablet to handle the arduous tasks.
iPad users can choose from third-part keyboards that can also be used as carrying cases and covers like the Logitech and Belkin keyboard cases. On the other hand, Nexus users have the option of having the VSTN Aluminum Nexus 10 Keyboard Case and the MiniSuit Bluetooth Keyboard Stand Case.
Add Productivity Apps - Software represents the biggest challenge in turning your tablet into your main computer. You need to be creative in choosing app equivalents of your computer programmes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes