How to use Tablet as Main Computer
By Karla Danica Figuerres | June 30, 2014 10:15 AM EST
The day that tablets will take over from the laptops is yet to emerge but with some tips and tricks you can configure your tablet and make is as your main computer. With the longer battery life, instant boot-up and the lighter weight of tablet, the building blocks of a productivity device are already set.
Philip W. Schiller, Senior Vice President of worldwide marketing at Apple Inc, introduces the new iPad mini with retina display during an Apple event in San Francisco, California October 22, 2013.
Here are the ways to use a tablet as main computer.
Choose a Tablet - First things first, you need to choose a tablet. Two of the best tablets in the market today are the Apple iPad Air and the Google Nexus 10. You can have the iPad at $499 for the 16GB model while the Google Nexus 10 is relatively cheaper at $399 for the 16GB model and $499 32GB model.
You have to keep in mind that using a tablet as a main computer means a couple of compromise. For one, you will be working on a significantly smaller screen. However, most high-end tablets in the market today offer sky-high screen resolutions which means that you are not actually losing the ability to accomplish ultra-detailed work.
Furthermore, the tablet you choose dictates the accessories that you can incorporate with the device. For instance, the Google Nexus 10 supports USB OTG (USB on-the-go) which allows users to connect mouse, flash drive and a wired keyboard.
Add a Keyboard - While both iOS and Android tablets provide onscreen keys, for serious main computer data entry, you will definitely need a keyboard for your tablet to handle the arduous tasks.
iPad users can choose from third-part keyboards that can also be used as carrying cases and covers like the Logitech and Belkin keyboard cases. On the other hand, Nexus users have the option of having the VSTN Aluminum Nexus 10 Keyboard Case and the MiniSuit Bluetooth Keyboard Stand Case.
Add Productivity Apps - Software represents the biggest challenge in turning your tablet into your main computer. You need to be creative in choosing app equivalents of your computer programmes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change