Pope Francis Sick for the 3rd Time, Cancels Appointment Again
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 30, 2014 8:49 AM EST
For the third time within the same month, Pope Francis cancelled on Friday his appointment because of illness or fatigue.
Pope Francis speaks as he leads a mass in Sibari, southern Italy, June 21, 2014. REUTERS/Giampiero Sposito (ITALY - Tags: RELIGION)
The 77-year-old pontiff did not push through with his scheduled visit to the Gemelli hospital and celebrate Mass in the medical facility. Vatican explained the cancellation to the pope having an unexpected disposition.
During the same month, Pope Francis did not hold an audience for two days because of a stomach bug and declined to join a mile-long procession during the fourth week of June to preserve his strength for a 12 trip to Calabria in southern Italy.
The Vatican dispelled worries over the health of the leader of the Roman Catholic church who celebrated his one year reign in March. It said Pope Francis, who has only one lung, is not suffering from any major health issues, noting that he has a busy schedule ahead of him, including a trip to South Korea in August.
He also had an audience on Saturday and major Mass on Sunday in St Peter's Square.
Meanwhile, in a newly published interview with La Vanguardia, Pope Francis warned that the global economic system is near collapse, which is an economy built on money worship and war and characterised by a huge wealth gap and worsening youth unemployment.
A report by the International Labor Organisation reported that youth unemployment hit an alarming 13.1 per cent in 2013. He noted that in some countries, youth unemployment is as high as 50 per cent.
Pope Francis lamented, "We discard a whole generation to maintain an economic system that no longer endures, a system that to survive has to make war, as the big empires have always done ... But since we cannot wage the Third World War, we make regional wars."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand