Pope Francis Sick for the 3rd Time, Cancels Appointment Again
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 30, 2014 8:49 AM EST
For the third time within the same month, Pope Francis cancelled on Friday his appointment because of illness or fatigue.
Pope Francis speaks as he leads a mass in Sibari, southern Italy, June 21, 2014. REUTERS/Giampiero Sposito (ITALY - Tags: RELIGION)
The 77-year-old pontiff did not push through with his scheduled visit to the Gemelli hospital and celebrate Mass in the medical facility. Vatican explained the cancellation to the pope having an unexpected disposition.
During the same month, Pope Francis did not hold an audience for two days because of a stomach bug and declined to join a mile-long procession during the fourth week of June to preserve his strength for a 12 trip to Calabria in southern Italy.
The Vatican dispelled worries over the health of the leader of the Roman Catholic church who celebrated his one year reign in March. It said Pope Francis, who has only one lung, is not suffering from any major health issues, noting that he has a busy schedule ahead of him, including a trip to South Korea in August.
He also had an audience on Saturday and major Mass on Sunday in St Peter's Square.
Meanwhile, in a newly published interview with La Vanguardia, Pope Francis warned that the global economic system is near collapse, which is an economy built on money worship and war and characterised by a huge wealth gap and worsening youth unemployment.
A report by the International Labor Organisation reported that youth unemployment hit an alarming 13.1 per cent in 2013. He noted that in some countries, youth unemployment is as high as 50 per cent.
Pope Francis lamented, "We discard a whole generation to maintain an economic system that no longer endures, a system that to survive has to make war, as the big empires have always done ... But since we cannot wage the Third World War, we make regional wars."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Great Australian Sex Census Decodes Sex Technology Habits of Australians
- Paris Hilton Quits Junk Food: A High Fat Diet Could Destroy Your Sense of Smell, Study
- Dwayne Johnson Talks About Overcoming Depression
- HIV/AIDS Cure a Step Closer with Anti-Cancer Drugs 'Kicking' Virus Out of Infected Cells
- AFL Player in Coma After Being Knocked It and Slipping Into A Cardiac Arrest
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June