5 Things You Should Know About NBA Number 1 Pick Andrew Wiggins
June 30, 2014 2:52 AM EST
The Cleveland Cavaliers made its decision official on June 26, 2014 by picking small forward Andrew Wiggins first in the 2014 NBA Draft. Wiggins is the third No. 1 pick by the Cavs in a span of four years--and the fact that he seems to be the general number one pick among all teams says a lot about this newcomer.
Jun 26, 2014; Brooklyn, NY, USA; Andrew Wiggins (Kansas) shakes hands with NBA commissioner Adam Silver after being selected as the number one overall pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2014 NBA Draft at the Barclays Center.
Here are five quick facts about the rookie that you might find interesting.
1. His athleticism is genetic
Andrew Wiggins can thank his parents first for endowing him with the genetic traits that make up a No. 1 draft pick. Both his parents were athletes too. His father Mitchell Wiggins also played in the NBA. His mother Marita-Payne Wiggins was a two-time Olympian track and field sprinter. He has six siblings. Two of his older brothers were recruited to play college basketball.
2. He is from Canada
Andrew's mother is Canadian and his father is American, so he is a dual citizen. He was born in Ontario, Canada and has represented the red maple leaf in international games.
3. It is not the first time he was picked first
He was rated as the top recruit over Jabari Parker, who was picked second in the 2014 Draft, while playing at Huntington Prep School in West Virginia. He once scored 57 points versus Marietta College. He was also given the awards for 2013 Naismith Prep Player of the Year, Mr. Basketball USA 2013 and 2013 Gatorade National Player of the Year.
4. He has a beautiful girlfriend
Andrew has a healthy relationship with aspiring singer, songwriter and model Alex Reid. His girlfriend lives in Los Angeles so distance would not be as long once he officially moves to Cleveland.
5. He is quite similar to LeBron James
His accomplishments in high school spur NBA fans to compare him to LeBron James. They both stand 6 feet 8 inches tall, were drafted first by the same team and come from a humble countryside.
At his early age, Wiggins has already garnered the attention of sports enthusiasts and the media. The Cavs can only hope that he delivers alongside fellow No. 1 pick Kyrie Irving and possibly returning superstar LeBron James.
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match