5 Things You Should Know About NBA Number 1 Pick Andrew Wiggins
June 30, 2014 2:52 AM EST
The Cleveland Cavaliers made its decision official on June 26, 2014 by picking small forward Andrew Wiggins first in the 2014 NBA Draft. Wiggins is the third No. 1 pick by the Cavs in a span of four years--and the fact that he seems to be the general number one pick among all teams says a lot about this newcomer.
Jun 26, 2014; Brooklyn, NY, USA; Andrew Wiggins (Kansas) shakes hands with NBA commissioner Adam Silver after being selected as the number one overall pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2014 NBA Draft at the Barclays Center.
Here are five quick facts about the rookie that you might find interesting.
1. His athleticism is genetic
Andrew Wiggins can thank his parents first for endowing him with the genetic traits that make up a No. 1 draft pick. Both his parents were athletes too. His father Mitchell Wiggins also played in the NBA. His mother Marita-Payne Wiggins was a two-time Olympian track and field sprinter. He has six siblings. Two of his older brothers were recruited to play college basketball.
2. He is from Canada
Andrew's mother is Canadian and his father is American, so he is a dual citizen. He was born in Ontario, Canada and has represented the red maple leaf in international games.
3. It is not the first time he was picked first
He was rated as the top recruit over Jabari Parker, who was picked second in the 2014 Draft, while playing at Huntington Prep School in West Virginia. He once scored 57 points versus Marietta College. He was also given the awards for 2013 Naismith Prep Player of the Year, Mr. Basketball USA 2013 and 2013 Gatorade National Player of the Year.
4. He has a beautiful girlfriend
Andrew has a healthy relationship with aspiring singer, songwriter and model Alex Reid. His girlfriend lives in Los Angeles so distance would not be as long once he officially moves to Cleveland.
5. He is quite similar to LeBron James
His accomplishments in high school spur NBA fans to compare him to LeBron James. They both stand 6 feet 8 inches tall, were drafted first by the same team and come from a humble countryside.
At his early age, Wiggins has already garnered the attention of sports enthusiasts and the media. The Cavs can only hope that he delivers alongside fellow No. 1 pick Kyrie Irving and possibly returning superstar LeBron James.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide