BWF Australian Badminton Open 2014: China’s Lin Dan Takes Men’s Singles Title; Koreans Lee/Yoo, Ko/Kim Rule Doubles Events
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 30, 2014 1:34 AM EST
Lin Dan of China took the title in the men’s singles competition of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Superseries Australian Badminton Open 2014 in Sydney, Australia even as Korean pairs dominated the double’s events—Lee Yong Dae and Yoo Yeon Seong in the men’s doubles and Ko Sung Hyun and Kim Ha Na the mixed doubles.
South Korea's Lee Yong-dae (R) and Yoo Yeon Seong reacts after winning their men's doubles final match over Indonesia's Mohammad Ahsan and Hendra Setiawan during the Indonesia Open badminton championship in Jakarta June 22, 2014.
The 30-year-old Chinese, who is a two-time Olympian and five-time World Champion, is back on top of a World Superseries event for the first time in two years. Lin came back from one set down to beat Indonesia's Simon Santoso, 22-24, 21-16, 21-7 in the championship round.
Meanwhile, the Korean pair of Lee and Yoo in the men’s doubles has continued their recent domination—they’ve won their third title in three tries for a rare hat-trick in the BWF tour. Lee/Yoo defeated the Taiwanese duo of Lee Sheng Mu and Tsai Chia Hsin in just two sets, 21-14, 21-18.
“We’re overjoyed to win three World Superseries in a row but we don't want to stop there,” said Lee to the tournament’s official website.
“We've definitely got the BWF World Championships in our sights,” agreed Yoo. The pair also took the Japan Open and Indonesian Open titles in June 2014.
In the mixed doubles, Ko/Kim won their first-ever World Superseries title with a victory over Germany’s Michael Fuchs and Birgit Michels, 21-16, 21-17. Saina Newhal of India beat Carolina Marin of Spain in the women’s singles final with relative ease, 21-18, 21-11.
The BWF World Superseries is a 12-team tournament series and Australia was the eighth stop. The next tournament will be the Denmark Open from October 14 to 19, 2014. The BWF World Superseries Finals will be held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates from December 17 to 21 also this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers