BWF Australian Badminton Open 2014: China’s Lin Dan Takes Men’s Singles Title; Koreans Lee/Yoo, Ko/Kim Rule Doubles Events
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 30, 2014 1:34 AM EST
Lin Dan of China took the title in the men’s singles competition of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Superseries Australian Badminton Open 2014 in Sydney, Australia even as Korean pairs dominated the double’s events—Lee Yong Dae and Yoo Yeon Seong in the men’s doubles and Ko Sung Hyun and Kim Ha Na the mixed doubles.
South Korea's Lee Yong-dae (R) and Yoo Yeon Seong reacts after winning their men's doubles final match over Indonesia's Mohammad Ahsan and Hendra Setiawan during the Indonesia Open badminton championship in Jakarta June 22, 2014.
The 30-year-old Chinese, who is a two-time Olympian and five-time World Champion, is back on top of a World Superseries event for the first time in two years. Lin came back from one set down to beat Indonesia's Simon Santoso, 22-24, 21-16, 21-7 in the championship round.
Meanwhile, the Korean pair of Lee and Yoo in the men’s doubles has continued their recent domination—they’ve won their third title in three tries for a rare hat-trick in the BWF tour. Lee/Yoo defeated the Taiwanese duo of Lee Sheng Mu and Tsai Chia Hsin in just two sets, 21-14, 21-18.
“We’re overjoyed to win three World Superseries in a row but we don't want to stop there,” said Lee to the tournament’s official website.
“We've definitely got the BWF World Championships in our sights,” agreed Yoo. The pair also took the Japan Open and Indonesian Open titles in June 2014.
In the mixed doubles, Ko/Kim won their first-ever World Superseries title with a victory over Germany’s Michael Fuchs and Birgit Michels, 21-16, 21-17. Saina Newhal of India beat Carolina Marin of Spain in the women’s singles final with relative ease, 21-18, 21-11.
The BWF World Superseries is a 12-team tournament series and Australia was the eighth stop. The next tournament will be the Denmark Open from October 14 to 19, 2014. The BWF World Superseries Finals will be held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates from December 17 to 21 also this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage