BWF Australian Badminton Open 2014: China’s Lin Dan Takes Men’s Singles Title; Koreans Lee/Yoo, Ko/Kim Rule Doubles Events
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 30, 2014 1:34 AM EST
Lin Dan of China took the title in the men’s singles competition of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Superseries Australian Badminton Open 2014 in Sydney, Australia even as Korean pairs dominated the double’s events—Lee Yong Dae and Yoo Yeon Seong in the men’s doubles and Ko Sung Hyun and Kim Ha Na the mixed doubles.
South Korea's Lee Yong-dae (R) and Yoo Yeon Seong reacts after winning their men's doubles final match over Indonesia's Mohammad Ahsan and Hendra Setiawan during the Indonesia Open badminton championship in Jakarta June 22, 2014.
The 30-year-old Chinese, who is a two-time Olympian and five-time World Champion, is back on top of a World Superseries event for the first time in two years. Lin came back from one set down to beat Indonesia's Simon Santoso, 22-24, 21-16, 21-7 in the championship round.
Meanwhile, the Korean pair of Lee and Yoo in the men’s doubles has continued their recent domination—they’ve won their third title in three tries for a rare hat-trick in the BWF tour. Lee/Yoo defeated the Taiwanese duo of Lee Sheng Mu and Tsai Chia Hsin in just two sets, 21-14, 21-18.
“We’re overjoyed to win three World Superseries in a row but we don't want to stop there,” said Lee to the tournament’s official website.
“We've definitely got the BWF World Championships in our sights,” agreed Yoo. The pair also took the Japan Open and Indonesian Open titles in June 2014.
In the mixed doubles, Ko/Kim won their first-ever World Superseries title with a victory over Germany’s Michael Fuchs and Birgit Michels, 21-16, 21-17. Saina Newhal of India beat Carolina Marin of Spain in the women’s singles final with relative ease, 21-18, 21-11.
The BWF World Superseries is a 12-team tournament series and Australia was the eighth stop. The next tournament will be the Denmark Open from October 14 to 19, 2014. The BWF World Superseries Finals will be held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates from December 17 to 21 also this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate