BWF Australian Badminton Open 2014: China’s Lin Dan Takes Men’s Singles Title; Koreans Lee/Yoo, Ko/Kim Rule Doubles Events
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 30, 2014 1:34 AM EST
Lin Dan of China took the title in the men’s singles competition of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Superseries Australian Badminton Open 2014 in Sydney, Australia even as Korean pairs dominated the double’s events—Lee Yong Dae and Yoo Yeon Seong in the men’s doubles and Ko Sung Hyun and Kim Ha Na the mixed doubles.
South Korea's Lee Yong-dae (R) and Yoo Yeon Seong reacts after winning their men's doubles final match over Indonesia's Mohammad Ahsan and Hendra Setiawan during the Indonesia Open badminton championship in Jakarta June 22, 2014.
The 30-year-old Chinese, who is a two-time Olympian and five-time World Champion, is back on top of a World Superseries event for the first time in two years. Lin came back from one set down to beat Indonesia's Simon Santoso, 22-24, 21-16, 21-7 in the championship round.
Meanwhile, the Korean pair of Lee and Yoo in the men’s doubles has continued their recent domination—they’ve won their third title in three tries for a rare hat-trick in the BWF tour. Lee/Yoo defeated the Taiwanese duo of Lee Sheng Mu and Tsai Chia Hsin in just two sets, 21-14, 21-18.
“We’re overjoyed to win three World Superseries in a row but we don't want to stop there,” said Lee to the tournament’s official website.
“We've definitely got the BWF World Championships in our sights,” agreed Yoo. The pair also took the Japan Open and Indonesian Open titles in June 2014.
In the mixed doubles, Ko/Kim won their first-ever World Superseries title with a victory over Germany’s Michael Fuchs and Birgit Michels, 21-16, 21-17. Saina Newhal of India beat Carolina Marin of Spain in the women’s singles final with relative ease, 21-18, 21-11.
The BWF World Superseries is a 12-team tournament series and Australia was the eighth stop. The next tournament will be the Denmark Open from October 14 to 19, 2014. The BWF World Superseries Finals will be held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates from December 17 to 21 also this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected