BWF Australian Badminton Open 2014: China’s Lin Dan Takes Men’s Singles Title; Koreans Lee/Yoo, Ko/Kim Rule Doubles Events
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 30, 2014 1:34 AM EST
Lin Dan of China took the title in the men’s singles competition of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Superseries Australian Badminton Open 2014 in Sydney, Australia even as Korean pairs dominated the double’s events—Lee Yong Dae and Yoo Yeon Seong in the men’s doubles and Ko Sung Hyun and Kim Ha Na the mixed doubles.
South Korea's Lee Yong-dae (R) and Yoo Yeon Seong reacts after winning their men's doubles final match over Indonesia's Mohammad Ahsan and Hendra Setiawan during the Indonesia Open badminton championship in Jakarta June 22, 2014.
The 30-year-old Chinese, who is a two-time Olympian and five-time World Champion, is back on top of a World Superseries event for the first time in two years. Lin came back from one set down to beat Indonesia's Simon Santoso, 22-24, 21-16, 21-7 in the championship round.
Meanwhile, the Korean pair of Lee and Yoo in the men’s doubles has continued their recent domination—they’ve won their third title in three tries for a rare hat-trick in the BWF tour. Lee/Yoo defeated the Taiwanese duo of Lee Sheng Mu and Tsai Chia Hsin in just two sets, 21-14, 21-18.
“We’re overjoyed to win three World Superseries in a row but we don't want to stop there,” said Lee to the tournament’s official website.
“We've definitely got the BWF World Championships in our sights,” agreed Yoo. The pair also took the Japan Open and Indonesian Open titles in June 2014.
In the mixed doubles, Ko/Kim won their first-ever World Superseries title with a victory over Germany’s Michael Fuchs and Birgit Michels, 21-16, 21-17. Saina Newhal of India beat Carolina Marin of Spain in the women’s singles final with relative ease, 21-18, 21-11.
The BWF World Superseries is a 12-team tournament series and Australia was the eighth stop. The next tournament will be the Denmark Open from October 14 to 19, 2014. The BWF World Superseries Finals will be held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates from December 17 to 21 also this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June