Update Sony Xperia Z with Android v4.4.2 KitKat Z-Ultraized Custom ROM
By Precious Silva | June 29, 2014 8:36 PM EST
Sony Xperia Z users can now experience Xperia Z Ultra via a custom ROM. The custom ROM is based on the newly released official Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware 10.5.A.0.230 under Sony. The ROM offers a complete Xperia Z Ultra port along with Xperia Z2 features.
A receptionist speaks on a phone under a Sony Corp logo at the company's headquarters in Tokyo, in this file picture taken February 6, 2014. Sponsors Adidas, Sony, Visa and Coca-Cola on June 8, 2014 called on soccer's rulers to deal thoroughly with allegations of bribery to secure the 2022 World Cup for Qatar, an issue overshadowing this week's kickoff in Brazil. REUTERS/Toru Hanai/Files
Users can expect a stable, smooth and swift platform because the ROM takes after the official firmware. It is also pre-rooted. XDA Developers Forum provides the details of the custom ROM as follows:
- Based On The Official KK 4.4.2 Firmware 10.5.A.0.230
- Rooted With Latest SuperSU
- Deodexed, Zip-Aligned For Better RAM Management
- Added init.d Support For Various System Tweaks
- Latest XZDual Recovery Pre Installed
- Fixed Lag In Settings While Scrolling
- Superuser Mod Added For Installing Z2, Z1 Like Ported Apps
- build.prop Edited For Z2 Ported Apps
- Smooth and Fast. No More Lags In Settings
- UI Chnaged to Xperia Z Ultra
- Updated Sony Media Apps
- Enhached Settings with Xposed Installer and Xperia Xposed
- Some(Not All) Bloat Removed
- True Experience of An Ultra in 5″ Display!
Pre-requisites before installation:
- The custom ROM caters to the Sony Xperia Z variant. Users should not try other handsets.
- The handset should be rooted and installed with ClockworkMod
- The handset should be at least charged 80%.
Disclaimer: Providers of the update cannot be held responsible for what happens to the device following installation. Users can update at their own risk.
1. Download the Android 4.4.2 Z-Ultraized ROM for Xperia Z on the computer.
2. Connect the handset to the computer via USB cable.
3. Install the downloaded ROM to the SD card of the device. The files should be transferred to the SD card root folder.
4. Turn off the Sony Xperia Z unit and disconnect from the computer.
5. Switch the device to Reovery Mode by holding and pressing Power, Home and Volume Up buttons.
6. Under ClockworkMod Recovery, do a complete data wipe. Do this by choosing "wipe data/factory reset." The Power button can be used to navigate through Recovery Mode.
7. Choose "wipe cache partition" to do a cache wipe.
8. Return to the primary recovery screen and choose "install zip from SD card".
9. Select "choose zip from sdcard". The volume keys can be used to go to the Android 4.4.2 zip file. Use Power button to confirm selection.
10. Following installation, choose "+++++Go Back+++++" and reboot the phone. Do this by confirming with "reboot system now" under the recovery.
Following reboot, the device should be running with the custom ROM.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy