Mexico vs. Netherlands Keys To Victory, Players To Watch and Possible Scenarios - World Cup R16
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 29, 2014 11:43 AM EST
Mexico and Netherlands are all set to put up a show at Estádio Castelão in Fortaleza, Brazil. With only one quarterfinalist coming out of this showdown, the Mexicans and the Dutch are in for a scintillating affair, which could see their respective star players stepping up their game to another notch.
Arjen Robben of the Netherlands celebrates the team's second goal scored by Memphis Depay (not pictured) during their 2014 World Cup Group B soccer match against Chile at the Corinthians arena in Sao Paulo June 23, 2014. Robben assisted with a pass.
Keys To Victory
Mexico: El Tri has been superb throughout the tournament despite needing to win a playoff for them to qualify. However, with the guidance of the ever animated head coach Miguel Herrera, Mexico surpassed everyone's expectation by beating Cameroon and Croatia and forcing a nil-nil draw with Brazil.
Defense will be an integral part for El Tri, if they are going to win their duel with the Dutch. Veteran Rafael Marquez and goaltender Guillermo Ochoa will surely have a busy day against Netherlands' potent striking force led by Robin Van Persie and Arjen Robben, who already scored three goals each in the tourney.
Other than their defensive wall, Andres Guardado and Javier Hernandez need to provide more jolt to an offense that reached its peak in the final group match against Croatia 3-1. Hernandez has been struggling to crack into Manchester United's rotation, and it's about time for him to make an impression before the eyes of his next boss and Dutch coach Louis Van Gaal.
Netherlands: the Dutch are flying all over the place through their first three matches. After obliterating Spain 5-1 in their first match, Netherlands seemed to be a team on a mission, as they try to erase the pain of their 2010 World Cup final meltdown.
Van Persie and Robben will be once again leading the charge for the Dutch, but an active Wesley Sneijder could further provide the team more weapons on the pitch. Memphis Depay is emerging as a threat too with two goals so far, but the five guys behind their 5-3-2 are going to be the difference makers of this match. Offense is great, but defense always win championships.
Players To Watch
For Mexico - Ochoa, the best goaltender of the tournament so far with two clean sheets, will once again hug the spotlight for the Mexican side. After surviving Neymar and Brazil, Ochoa will be tested again, as Van Persie, Robben and Snejder plan for another goal onslaught.
For Netherlands - Van Persie and Robben are the major players in the match with El Tri, but Sneijder's creativity on the field will be the x-factor. Mexico's defense is going to be rougher than they have ever faced so far in the tourney, and obviously, they need a guy like Sneijder to create opportunities for the strikers.
A fast-paced game will bode well for Van Gaal and company, while Mexico can be deadly on counter-attacks. Despite a roster filled with goal-scorer, going deep into the penalty shootout would be disadvantageous for the Oranje not only because of Ochoa but also a boisterous Mexican crowd in Brazil.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage