Maria Sharapova Receives Marriage Proposal; BF Grigor Dimitrov May Have To Wait Longer
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 29, 2014 11:41 AM EST
Tennis sweetheart Maria Sharapova received a marriage proposal, but it's not from her current beau Grigor Dimitrov, but a group of football fans supporting the Russian football team during their final group match with Algeria last Thursday.
Maria Sharapova of Russia blows a kiss after defeating Samantha Murray of Britain in their women's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth
Four Russian men were spotted on TV holding a signage that reads 'Sharapova Will You Marry Me?" Despite not being an avid follower of the World Cup, Sharapova admitted she caught that one and even let the world know of the cool stuff by posting it on her Twitter page.
"A marriage proposal. She took to Twitter to reveal about it and posted a picture with the caption: "I missed the goal but I didn't miss this...I have to marry all 4? #WorldCup2014," via Tennis Earth.
The 27-year old Sharapova said she's not very much inclined to watch football matches, simply because she always missed the part when players score goals.
"I enjoy watching with a group of people that get excited about it. I've personally never been a huge fan of football in my career. I always feel like I'm always missing the goals. It's like I watched for 35 minutes and I didn't see a goal, and all of a sudden I grab a sip of tea and there is the goal and I miss the goal."
With regards to marriage, Sharapova previously stressed that she's not getting into a marriage life anytime soon, though she enjoys Dimitrov's company as her boyfriend and fellow athlete.
"I have a tremendous amount of respect for him as a person, as an athlete and it's nice to share each other's company, have our other interests and enjoy our time together,'' Sharapova told Sunday Mail via Standard News.
"Those feelings speak for themselves in life. If you are happy and that person brings you happiness, you have to cherish it as much as you can. As women, when we are professional athletes, we are constantly in the spotlight ... because of the sport you do and being in the public eye, you are almost seen as being on a pedestal."
"But we as women are all walking on the ground and all have similar problems we deal with, our ups and downs, and get through them one way or another.''
By the sound of it, it looks like Dimitrov a.k.a Baby Federer has to wait a little bit longer for him to have a chance to marry one of the hottest women in sports. Keep holding on, Grigor!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan