Maria Sharapova Receives Marriage Proposal; BF Grigor Dimitrov May Have To Wait Longer
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 29, 2014 11:41 AM EST
Tennis sweetheart Maria Sharapova received a marriage proposal, but it's not from her current beau Grigor Dimitrov, but a group of football fans supporting the Russian football team during their final group match with Algeria last Thursday.
Maria Sharapova of Russia blows a kiss after defeating Samantha Murray of Britain in their women's singles tennis match at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth
Four Russian men were spotted on TV holding a signage that reads 'Sharapova Will You Marry Me?" Despite not being an avid follower of the World Cup, Sharapova admitted she caught that one and even let the world know of the cool stuff by posting it on her Twitter page.
"A marriage proposal. She took to Twitter to reveal about it and posted a picture with the caption: "I missed the goal but I didn't miss this...I have to marry all 4? #WorldCup2014," via Tennis Earth.
The 27-year old Sharapova said she's not very much inclined to watch football matches, simply because she always missed the part when players score goals.
"I enjoy watching with a group of people that get excited about it. I've personally never been a huge fan of football in my career. I always feel like I'm always missing the goals. It's like I watched for 35 minutes and I didn't see a goal, and all of a sudden I grab a sip of tea and there is the goal and I miss the goal."
With regards to marriage, Sharapova previously stressed that she's not getting into a marriage life anytime soon, though she enjoys Dimitrov's company as her boyfriend and fellow athlete.
"I have a tremendous amount of respect for him as a person, as an athlete and it's nice to share each other's company, have our other interests and enjoy our time together,'' Sharapova told Sunday Mail via Standard News.
"Those feelings speak for themselves in life. If you are happy and that person brings you happiness, you have to cherish it as much as you can. As women, when we are professional athletes, we are constantly in the spotlight ... because of the sport you do and being in the public eye, you are almost seen as being on a pedestal."
"But we as women are all walking on the ground and all have similar problems we deal with, our ups and downs, and get through them one way or another.''
By the sound of it, it looks like Dimitrov a.k.a Baby Federer has to wait a little bit longer for him to have a chance to marry one of the hottest women in sports. Keep holding on, Grigor!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar