Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather Jr. To Fight Early as September - UAE Royalty
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 29, 2014 11:17 AM EST
The showdown between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao may finally happen, as several reports indicated that the two best fighters in this generation are set to meet each other in the ring as early as September, all thanks to the efforts of a royalty from the United of Arab Emirates.
Reuters - Joe Camporeale-USA T
Apr 12, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Manny Pacquiao celebrates his victory over Timothy Bradley (not pictured) after their WBO World Welterweight Title bout at MGM Grand Garden Arena. Pacquiao won via unanimous decision. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
Prince Amir Shafipour, a member of the UAE Royal Family and boxing promoter, has reportedly been working with the UAE Government to stage the fight of the century between Mayweather and Pacquiao as early as late 2014.
In an interview with Gulf News, Shafipour expressed his desire to see the top two boxers in the world going head-to-head in Dubai, and he's very much optimistic it can happen despite the ongoing rift between both fighters' camps.
I will honestly and truthfully tell you that if anyone can convince them to fight, and to fight in Dubai, I can," Shafipur said. "I have a lot of worldwide connections, with managers, promoters, fighters, people in the business, who speak the same language that Mayweather and Pacquiao are speaking. You have to be on the same page as them and only then will you get their attention."
Shafipour, a former three-time kickboxing champion, said he's now working out with an influential boxing patron in the United States to make things happen. Pacquiao is currently tied with Top-Rank Boxing, while Mayweather has his own promotions managed by confidante Leonard Ellerbe.
"I am currently working with a major boxing promoter in the USA, who is connected to both the Pacquiao and Mayweather camps, and who has the capacity to help me pull this off. It's not a boast, it's a commitment."
"We have shown fight fans in Dubai, the UAE, what we are capable of doing with the Global Fighting Championships. We brought some of the best K-1 fighters to Dubai and they put on a terrific show for a million dirham bonus, in addition to the big appearance money they collected. This was just the start. This will culminate in the biggest fight ever, between Pacquiao and Mayweather."
Mayweather is coming off a tough majority decision win over Marcos Maidana last May, while Pacquiao is holding again the WBO Welterweight crown after defeating Timothy Bradley via unanimous decision last April.
Shafipour wanted the fight to happen as early as September, but he's also open to move the showdown into the second quarter of 2015, the time when Pacquiao and Mayweather are usually kicking off their boxing year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open Round of 16: Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged