NBA News - Zach Randolph Opts In, Extends for $20M/2 Year Extension with Memphis Grizzlies
By James Patrick Quizon | June 28, 2014 4:50 PM EST
Zach Randolph has not only picked up the “player option” on his contract with the Memphis Grizzlies but has also decided to extend his stay there for two more years worth $20 million.
Randolph opted-in for the 2014-2015 season for $16.5M and will get less than that in the next two years, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
NBA: Playoffs-Oklahoma City Thunder at Memphis Grizzlies
After exercising his $16.5M player option for 2014-'15, Zach Randolph has agreed to 2-year, $20M extension with Memphis, sources tell Yahoo.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) June 27, 2014
The extension—at $10M per year after the next season-- is considered a bargain for the big man who has been consistent in his five years with the Memphis franchise. In the 2013-2014 season, the 32-year-old averaged 17.4 points and 10.1 rebounds in 79 games for the Grizzlies, which earned the 7th seed in the tough Western Conference.
In the first round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs, the Grizz were ousted by the Oklahoma City Thunder but stretched the series to full seven games. Randolph was suspended in the seventh and final game of the best-of-seven affair after he punched OKC big man Steven Adams in Game 6.
If Randolph opted out of his final year of the deal, the Grizzlies would have opened up cap space for the 2014-2015 season. Memphis is not a popular destination for any free agents this year or the past years that getting Randolph back was almost a must.
With the deal in place for Randolph, the Grizzlies will be bringing back a line-up that also features key players in point guard Mike Conley, center Marc Gasol and defensive whiz Tony Allen. Memphis has made the playoffs in the past three years with that core.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies