Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime (Galaxy F) vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
By Pavithra Rathinavel | June 28, 2014 10:55 AM EST
Customers attend a workshop about the Samsung Galaxy S5 in Jakarta, April 11, 2014.
The upcoming devices from Samsung include Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime (also known as Galaxy F), Galaxy S5 Active, Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S5 Sport, Galaxy S5 Mini and Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition. The handset in focus, the Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime (Galaxy F) release date is slated for June, but according to several reports, the device will only be released in fall 2014, along with the much-awaited phablet Galaxy Note 4.
Readers who are interested in buying one of the aforementioned handsets should check out this specification and price comparison.
The Galaxy S5 Prime is expected to boast high-end specifications more advanced than the Galaxy S5 could offer. The exterior of the handset will have a brushed metal finish, but the perforated (dotted) rear design is maintained similar to the Galaxy S5. Also, the body of Galaxy S5 Prime will be made of aluminium material instead of the plastic material used in Galaxy S5.
According to initial reports, the Galaxy S5 Prime was expected to come with a whopping screen resolution of 2,560 x 1,440 pixels on a 5.2 inches display. But recent news from Dutch site Tweakers points out that, the rumored Quad HD display is not in offer in the upcoming Galaxy S5 Prime. The Galaxy S5, on the other hand, boasts a 5.1 inches display with 1,080 x 1,920 pixels screen resolution.
Under the hood
The Galaxy S5 Prime will reportedly be powered by a superior Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 processor, an Adreno 420 GPU and an impressive 3 GB of RAM. Meanwhile, the Galaxy S5 is powered by a relatively inferior Snapdragon 801 processor, with Adreno 330 GPU and 2 GB of RAM.
The Galaxy S5 runs on the Android OS v4.4.2 (KitKat), whereas the Galaxy S5 Prime will run on Android 4.4.3 KitKat or higher, depending on the time of the release with Samsung's TouchWiz UI on top of it. Both the phones come with 16 GB and 32 GB of internal storage.
1. Both the phones house fingerprint scanner, heart rate monitor and dust/water proof exteriors.
2. The Galaxy S5 Prime (Galaxy F) was recently spotted on the FCC's listings, with model numbers SM-G906S, SM-G906K and SM-G906L certified for NFC, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth, according to Hallels. Similar to Galaxy S5 Prime, the Galaxy S5 also supports NFC, and the other standard connectivity features.
3. In addition, the camera specifications of Galaxy S5 Prime is rumoured to be 16 MP and 2 MP rear and front-facing camera units respectively, which is similar to the Galaxy S5.
4. Towards the end of May, GSMArena reported that the Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime with a model number SM-G906 has reached India from South Korea for testing and evaluation. Thus, confirming the existence of Galaxy S5 Prime (Galaxy F).
When it comes to price range, the Galaxy S5 Prime will reportedly cost US$100 more than the 2014 flagship Galaxy S5 smartphone, says Hallels. Meanwhile, the Galaxy S5 4G LTE 16 GB model is priced at AU$699.95 in Australia.
Interested readers can check out the light gold coloured Galaxy S5 Prime leaked by credible tipster @evleaks very recently.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks