Lana Del Rey Confirms Split with Fiancé Barrie-James O'Neill
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | June 27, 2014 5:21 PM EST
American singer and songwriter Lana Del Rey confirmed split with rumoured fiancé Barrie-James O'Neill, who was a member of the Scottish band Kassidy.
"We are currently not together. He is a wonderful person. But there are some things with which he has to deal. I will not explain it in detail. This was hard on our relationship; I no longer felt free. We'll see how it goes," the Once Upon a Dream hitmaket confirmed the split at Switzerland's 20 Minuten newspaper.
The two started dating in 2011. When Lana was interviewed back then by Daily Mail she stated that when she found somebody whom she fell in love with, it made her feel different than her feelings for the rest of the day.
"It was electrifying. That's one of the times when you're feeling electrified by someone else and they make you happy to be alive," she stated.
In April 2013 O'Neill appeared as Lana's love interest for the single "Summer Wine". He reportedly proposed to Lana Del Rey on her 27th birthday on June 21, 2013.
But with the romance already called off, the 28-year old singer is still hopeful that she will settle down with someone in the near future and have children with them. The Young and Beautiful sensation stated: "I'd love to [get married]. And I would like to have children. Hopefully it will work out sometime."
On the other hand, the singer's controversial interview with The Guardian for the release of her Ultraviolence album had sparked online debate. During the interview, she mentioned that both she and her then fiancé O'Neill share the same heroes which include Amy Whitehouse and Kurt Cobain.
When pointed out that the two both had early deaths, Lana Del Rey stated: "I wish I was dead already" and she made her death wish. She had also mentioned her remarkable story of homelessness, biker gangs, and being caught in the eyes of media hurricane. She had also narrated how a songwriter like her had sold more than seven million copies of her last album Born to Die. The album carried a message of disillusionment for life.
Kurt Cobain's daughter Frances Bean had reacted on Twitter regarding Lana Del Rey's death proclamation. Frances posted that the death of young musicians isn't something to romanticise. She also posted that she will never know her father because he died young and it becomes a desirable feat because people like Lana Del Rey think it was cool. Frances stated that Lana should embrace life because she only gets one life and that the people she mentioned wasted their life. Frances advised Lana not to be like those people since she is too talented to waste it away. Frances also clarified that she has no animosity towards Lana, she was just trying to put things into perspective from personal experience.
Read the tweets below:
@LanaDelRey the death of young musicians isn't something to romanticize (cont)
— Frances Bean Cobain (@alka_seltzer666) June 23, 2014
@LanaDelRey I'll never know my father because he died young & it becomes a desirable feat because ppl like u think it's "cool"(cont) — Frances Bean Cobain (@alka_seltzer666) June 23, 2014
I'm not attacking anyone. I have no animosity towards Lana, I was just trying to put things in perspective from personal experience. — Frances Bean Cobain (@alka_seltzer666) June 23, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Plot Update: Ludacris Reveals Paul Walker's Old Photo, Vin Diesel Shares A Photo Of Himself In Car
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand