Android One Smartphone Costs $100 or Less: 4.5-Inch Display, FM Radio, Two SIM Cards, microSD Card Slot
By Ryan Inoyori | June 27, 2014 2:44 PM EST
Google announced the Android One device series, which will be sold at $100 or less and features sophisticated hardware. Typically, an Android One device sports 4.5 inches of screen display, FM radio, two SIM card slots and a microSD card slot.
Android One Project
In addition to Nexus series, Google aims to launch the Android One project which feature devices that are low-cost but sports sophisticated hardware according to BGR. An Android One device will have 4.5 inches of screen display, FM radio, two SIM card slots and a microSD card slot.
Google will be in charge on Android One standards while any manufacturer builds the device which normally priced at $100 or less. Aside from low price and decent specs, Android One users will also benefit to other perks like Nexus device users:
- Android updates are pushed directly by Google
- Carriers and manufacturers may add their own apps without slowing Android updates
- Low cost devices which can run the latest Android version contrast to earlier devices
- Android One devices will always run the vanilla Android stock ROM
- Automatic apps and software updates are enabled
Behind the Curtains
Brand manufacturers such as HTC, LG, Samsung and Sony are constantly releasing new devices which sports high-end features including water resistance, hard-core gaming experience, very large screen display and even 4K video recording.
While these models present innovation, the market for flagship devices are getting saturated and most of them can offer features similar technologies. Google plans to unify Android by setting specific guidelines for high-end, mid-range and low-cost devices.
In this way, users will have to the option not to upgrade every 18 months or less, or be worried after another Android version is released.
According to ZDNet, Android One standards will replicate the same principles applied on Nexus devices and Google Play edition models which allow Google to get full control over the platform. Once implemented on all markets, Android One may serve the following:
1. High performance devices at low price, similar to Windows Phone.
2. Keeping users in line with the exponential growth of processor, RAM and graphics chipset.
3. Any carriers or manufacturers may use Android One to build their smartphones provided to follow Google's standards.
Google's Android One project may be an effective approach to greatly reduce the fragmentation among Android devices which users should watch for soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire News: Meet Professor Birch Plus X and Y Updates
- Samsung Galaxy S5: Logitech Unveils Protection+ Case Accessory for Android Smartphone
- Sony Xperia Z Android 4.4.2 KitKat Battery Issue, How to Resolve and Future Firmware Upgrade
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition: Flemeth, Tallis, the Warden and Champion of Kirkwall Possible Appearances
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Moto X Reported With Poor Battery Life; Six Ways to Resolve the Issue
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People