Android One Smartphone Costs $100 or Less: 4.5-Inch Display, FM Radio, Two SIM Cards, microSD Card Slot
By Ryan Inoyori | June 27, 2014 2:44 PM EST
Google announced the Android One device series, which will be sold at $100 or less and features sophisticated hardware. Typically, an Android One device sports 4.5 inches of screen display, FM radio, two SIM card slots and a microSD card slot.
Android One Project
In addition to Nexus series, Google aims to launch the Android One project which feature devices that are low-cost but sports sophisticated hardware according to BGR. An Android One device will have 4.5 inches of screen display, FM radio, two SIM card slots and a microSD card slot.
Google will be in charge on Android One standards while any manufacturer builds the device which normally priced at $100 or less. Aside from low price and decent specs, Android One users will also benefit to other perks like Nexus device users:
- Android updates are pushed directly by Google
- Carriers and manufacturers may add their own apps without slowing Android updates
- Low cost devices which can run the latest Android version contrast to earlier devices
- Android One devices will always run the vanilla Android stock ROM
- Automatic apps and software updates are enabled
Behind the Curtains
Brand manufacturers such as HTC, LG, Samsung and Sony are constantly releasing new devices which sports high-end features including water resistance, hard-core gaming experience, very large screen display and even 4K video recording.
While these models present innovation, the market for flagship devices are getting saturated and most of them can offer features similar technologies. Google plans to unify Android by setting specific guidelines for high-end, mid-range and low-cost devices.
In this way, users will have to the option not to upgrade every 18 months or less, or be worried after another Android version is released.
According to ZDNet, Android One standards will replicate the same principles applied on Nexus devices and Google Play edition models which allow Google to get full control over the platform. Once implemented on all markets, Android One may serve the following:
1. High performance devices at low price, similar to Windows Phone.
2. Keeping users in line with the exponential growth of processor, RAM and graphics chipset.
3. Any carriers or manufacturers may use Android One to build their smartphones provided to follow Google's standards.
Google's Android One project may be an effective approach to greatly reduce the fragmentation among Android devices which users should watch for soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Latest Nikon D750 Costs $2500, But The Full Frame Model Is Worth The Buy
- ‘Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare’: Sledgehammer Games Releases Launch Trailer, Smooth Multiplayer And Dedicated Servers
- Early Unofficial Android 5.0 Lollipop Port for Nexus 4
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘Halo': The Master Chief Collection, Updates And Preorder Details; 343 Industries Announces ‘Halo 2 Anniversary’ Documentary
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge