NBA Trades 2014: Warriors Trading For Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons, as Rockets Look To Unload Salaries
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 27, 2014 2:16 PM EST
The Houston Rockets have been lining up a deal that would help them unload the contracts of Jeremy Lin. Apparently, the Golden State Warriors are interested to acquire the Bay Area product via trade, according to a reliable league source on Thursday.
Reuters/ Andrew Richa
Apr 30, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets guard Jeremy Lin (7) reacts to a play during the second quarter against the Portland Trail Blazers in game five of the first round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Toyota Center.
Marcus Thompson of the Bay Area News Group reported the Warriors' plan to get Lin, who started his career with the team as an undrafted rookie in 2011. According to Thompson, he was told that the Rockets are willing to unload Lin's back-loaded contract worth $15 million ($8 million hit against salary cap).
"The Warriors, per a league source, have informed the Houston they would consider acquiring Lin from the Rockets via trade. Houston is reportedly shopping Lin in case they need to create cap space for Carmelo Anthony or LeBron James," Thompson reported.
"The Warriors have a $9.8 million trade exception leftover from the trade that sent Andris Biedrins and Richard Jefferson's expiring contract to Utah. Though Lin is scheduled to make $14.9 million, only $8.37 will count against the salary cap. That means the Warriors can absorb Lin's contract without giving up any players."
ESPN's Chris Broussard also provided additional information about a potential trade between the Warriors and the Rockets, stating the Rockets are willing to unload Lin as long as Chandler Parsons - who will play the final year of his contract next season - is included in the deal.
"Chris Broussard of ESPN.com wrote Wednesday that there was a decent chance that Golden State would be willing to accept the point guard via trade as Houston attempts to clear his salary, as long as Chandler Parsons was also part of the deal. Thompson's report makes no mention of Parsons, however," via Hoops Rumors.
Lin, who averaged 12 points and 4 dimes in a sixth man role last season with the Rockets, is viewed as an ideal back-up to All-Star guard Stephen Curry. The Warriors made a trade deadline move to get Steve Blake from the Lakers, but Lin's versatility as a combo guard could give the team a ton of options, according to NBA analysts.
Meanwhile, Parsons was the third leading scorer in Rockets uniform by averaging at least 16 points per game. However, with the Rockets looking to get big time free-agents this summer, Parsons has to be dealt to make room for Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James.
"The Warriors tried in vain to find a capable backup point guard to replace Jarrett Jack this past season, and Lin was once a member of the W's, who waived him before his sudden rise to fame with the Knicks," Hoops Rumors stated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William And Kate Middleton Complete NYC Tour Itinerary [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Avoiding Fight, Always Making Excuses— Manny Pacquiao
- Roger Federer News: Swiss Great Slams Umpire’s Conduct In Wake Of Alleged Row With Stan Wawrinka
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Germany, Not U.S., Is The World’s Favorite Country; UK, Canada, Australia Maintain Top 10 Spots