NBA Trades 2014: Warriors Trading For Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons, as Rockets Look To Unload Salaries
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 27, 2014 2:16 PM EST
The Houston Rockets have been lining up a deal that would help them unload the contracts of Jeremy Lin. Apparently, the Golden State Warriors are interested to acquire the Bay Area product via trade, according to a reliable league source on Thursday.
Reuters/ Andrew Richa
Apr 30, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets guard Jeremy Lin (7) reacts to a play during the second quarter against the Portland Trail Blazers in game five of the first round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Toyota Center.
Marcus Thompson of the Bay Area News Group reported the Warriors' plan to get Lin, who started his career with the team as an undrafted rookie in 2011. According to Thompson, he was told that the Rockets are willing to unload Lin's back-loaded contract worth $15 million ($8 million hit against salary cap).
"The Warriors, per a league source, have informed the Houston they would consider acquiring Lin from the Rockets via trade. Houston is reportedly shopping Lin in case they need to create cap space for Carmelo Anthony or LeBron James," Thompson reported.
"The Warriors have a $9.8 million trade exception leftover from the trade that sent Andris Biedrins and Richard Jefferson's expiring contract to Utah. Though Lin is scheduled to make $14.9 million, only $8.37 will count against the salary cap. That means the Warriors can absorb Lin's contract without giving up any players."
ESPN's Chris Broussard also provided additional information about a potential trade between the Warriors and the Rockets, stating the Rockets are willing to unload Lin as long as Chandler Parsons - who will play the final year of his contract next season - is included in the deal.
"Chris Broussard of ESPN.com wrote Wednesday that there was a decent chance that Golden State would be willing to accept the point guard via trade as Houston attempts to clear his salary, as long as Chandler Parsons was also part of the deal. Thompson's report makes no mention of Parsons, however," via Hoops Rumors.
Lin, who averaged 12 points and 4 dimes in a sixth man role last season with the Rockets, is viewed as an ideal back-up to All-Star guard Stephen Curry. The Warriors made a trade deadline move to get Steve Blake from the Lakers, but Lin's versatility as a combo guard could give the team a ton of options, according to NBA analysts.
Meanwhile, Parsons was the third leading scorer in Rockets uniform by averaging at least 16 points per game. However, with the Rockets looking to get big time free-agents this summer, Parsons has to be dealt to make room for Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James.
"The Warriors tried in vain to find a capable backup point guard to replace Jarrett Jack this past season, and Lin was once a member of the W's, who waived him before his sudden rise to fame with the Knicks," Hoops Rumors stated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8