NBA Trades 2014: Warriors Trading For Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons, as Rockets Look To Unload Salaries
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 27, 2014 2:16 PM EST
The Houston Rockets have been lining up a deal that would help them unload the contracts of Jeremy Lin. Apparently, the Golden State Warriors are interested to acquire the Bay Area product via trade, according to a reliable league source on Thursday.
Reuters/ Andrew Richa
Apr 30, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets guard Jeremy Lin (7) reacts to a play during the second quarter against the Portland Trail Blazers in game five of the first round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Toyota Center.
Marcus Thompson of the Bay Area News Group reported the Warriors' plan to get Lin, who started his career with the team as an undrafted rookie in 2011. According to Thompson, he was told that the Rockets are willing to unload Lin's back-loaded contract worth $15 million ($8 million hit against salary cap).
"The Warriors, per a league source, have informed the Houston they would consider acquiring Lin from the Rockets via trade. Houston is reportedly shopping Lin in case they need to create cap space for Carmelo Anthony or LeBron James," Thompson reported.
"The Warriors have a $9.8 million trade exception leftover from the trade that sent Andris Biedrins and Richard Jefferson's expiring contract to Utah. Though Lin is scheduled to make $14.9 million, only $8.37 will count against the salary cap. That means the Warriors can absorb Lin's contract without giving up any players."
ESPN's Chris Broussard also provided additional information about a potential trade between the Warriors and the Rockets, stating the Rockets are willing to unload Lin as long as Chandler Parsons - who will play the final year of his contract next season - is included in the deal.
"Chris Broussard of ESPN.com wrote Wednesday that there was a decent chance that Golden State would be willing to accept the point guard via trade as Houston attempts to clear his salary, as long as Chandler Parsons was also part of the deal. Thompson's report makes no mention of Parsons, however," via Hoops Rumors.
Lin, who averaged 12 points and 4 dimes in a sixth man role last season with the Rockets, is viewed as an ideal back-up to All-Star guard Stephen Curry. The Warriors made a trade deadline move to get Steve Blake from the Lakers, but Lin's versatility as a combo guard could give the team a ton of options, according to NBA analysts.
Meanwhile, Parsons was the third leading scorer in Rockets uniform by averaging at least 16 points per game. However, with the Rockets looking to get big time free-agents this summer, Parsons has to be dealt to make room for Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James.
"The Warriors tried in vain to find a capable backup point guard to replace Jarrett Jack this past season, and Lin was once a member of the W's, who waived him before his sudden rise to fame with the Knicks," Hoops Rumors stated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier