FIFA World Cup Standings Group H Results: Belgium and Algeria Qualify
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 27, 2014 2:15 PM EST
Belgium returned to the World Cup stage with a good start after making their last appearance in Korea and Japan back in 2002. The Red Devils came into their last match already qualified into the top 16. Their final match triumph over Korea Republic gave them the maximum 9 points and the top spot in the group.
Algeria came in with three points ahead of Russia and Korea with one point each. They only managed a draw against Russia in their final match but the extra point was enough for them to jump over both Russia and Korea to take the second qualifying spot in group H. The draw could be considered to be an upset with Belgium and Russia being the early favourites to go through from group H. With their qualification, Algeria made history by making it to the top 16 for the first time in four appearances.
Russia were unable to excel in Brazil and will be disappointed to be leaving early ahead of welcming the World Cup to Russia in 2018. With Korea out as well as Japan Iran and Australia, all four teams who qualified from the Asian spots are already out of the tournament.
Full group H match results:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU