FIFA World Cup Standings Group H Results: Belgium and Algeria Qualify
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 27, 2014 2:15 PM EST
Belgium returned to the World Cup stage with a good start after making their last appearance in Korea and Japan back in 2002. The Red Devils came into their last match already qualified into the top 16. Their final match triumph over Korea Republic gave them the maximum 9 points and the top spot in the group.
Algeria came in with three points ahead of Russia and Korea with one point each. They only managed a draw against Russia in their final match but the extra point was enough for them to jump over both Russia and Korea to take the second qualifying spot in group H. The draw could be considered to be an upset with Belgium and Russia being the early favourites to go through from group H. With their qualification, Algeria made history by making it to the top 16 for the first time in four appearances.
Russia were unable to excel in Brazil and will be disappointed to be leaving early ahead of welcming the World Cup to Russia in 2018. With Korea out as well as Japan Iran and Australia, all four teams who qualified from the Asian spots are already out of the tournament.
Full group H match results:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast