FIFA World Cup Standings Group H Results: Belgium and Algeria Qualify
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 27, 2014 2:15 PM EST
Belgium returned to the World Cup stage with a good start after making their last appearance in Korea and Japan back in 2002. The Red Devils came into their last match already qualified into the top 16. Their final match triumph over Korea Republic gave them the maximum 9 points and the top spot in the group.
Algeria came in with three points ahead of Russia and Korea with one point each. They only managed a draw against Russia in their final match but the extra point was enough for them to jump over both Russia and Korea to take the second qualifying spot in group H. The draw could be considered to be an upset with Belgium and Russia being the early favourites to go through from group H. With their qualification, Algeria made history by making it to the top 16 for the first time in four appearances.
Russia were unable to excel in Brazil and will be disappointed to be leaving early ahead of welcming the World Cup to Russia in 2018. With Korea out as well as Japan Iran and Australia, all four teams who qualified from the Asian spots are already out of the tournament.
Full group H match results:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Top 5 NBA Teams With The Highest Payroll In The 2014-2015 Season
- Manchester United: Van Gaal Warns Stars That He Will Willingly Bench Them
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move