Tiger Woods Struggles in Return to the Green
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 27, 2014 2:14 PM EST
After three long months of waiting, fans of Tiger Woods got a glimpse of the superstar. The comeback was successful, the results were not.
Jun 26, 2014; Bethesda, MD, USA; Tiger Woods chips onto the green on the 15th hole during the first round of the Quicken Loans National golf tournament at Congressional Country Club - Blue Course.
While Woods is in danger to miss the cut for just the first time in two years after his showing in the opening round of the Quicken Loans National, he still felt that he had a "fantastic" return after months removed from the back ailment.
Yahoo! Sports reports that the superstar golfer opened with two straight bogeys, and struggled in the middle stretches but got his rhythm late finishing a 3-over-74, tied for 83rd in the pack.
''I made so many little mistakes,'' Woods said. ''So I played a lot better than the score indicated.''
Congressional made life hard for him all throughout the day, as so did the other players. The patch was so rough that it made any shot that got off the fairway, careened and buried. Even power players had a difficult time putting their ball on green and struggling to make par on long shots.
At the end of the day, Greg Chalmers led with a 66 after three straight birdies and edged out Ricky Barnes and Freddie Jacobson for a one shot lead. U.S. Open runner-up Erik Compton, Bill Hass, Patrick Reed and Tyrone Van Aswagen all shot 68 to complete the upper echelon.
The story of day was still all about Tiger Woods.
The sport's biggest draw expectedly hauled the crowds in, with a number of spectators in the patio and veranda of the famed clubhouse at the Congressional. The viewers did not get much of a show but at least got a glimpse of a healthy Woods. He looked as rusty as he did last year, giving away shots in his short game, missing easy chips and putts he normally makes with ease.
The most telling was a 50-foot-putt that his missed that went away 18 feet from the hole. He also missed consecutive 6-foot-putts that would have yielded a birdie and a par.
Luckily, he found some rhythm in the final stages to salvage his performance for the day. He hit an approach from 196 yards on the 467-yard fourth hole to three feet. He ended with short birdie putts on the par-3 seventh and short par-4 eight by using the angular slopes and position the ball closer to the holes.
His body language all throughout the day was the most positive sign of his game. Woods did not show ill effects on his back especially when he crouched and get up back to mark the balls. He also showed no ill-effects on his swing which is a sign of encouragement for the troublesome back.
''The back's great,'' Woods said. ''I had no issues at all - no twinges, no nothing. It felt fantastic. That's one of the reasons why I let go on those tee shots. I hit it pretty hard out there.''
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar