FIFA World Cup 2014 Standings Group G Results: Germany and USA Qualify
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 27, 2014 1:07 PM EST
Group G was one of the groups which was still wide open coming into the last match day in the group stage for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. All four teams still had a mathematical possibility of advancing to the next stage with Germany and USA each with 4 points and Ghana and Portugal with one point.
The USA were revelations after they beat Ghana in their first game. That was a revenge match against the team that took them out of the round of 16 in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. The opening win for the USA gave them a boost enough to hold an injury stricken-Portugal to a 2-2 draw in their second match.
Germany, who did well in 2010 to reach the semi-finals, started a very strong campaign by slaughtering Portugal 4-0 in their opening match. Germany knew the threat that was World Footballer of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo and his plans to rain on their parande and they made the necessary preparations to neutralize him and that was exactly what they achieved.
Concerns were raised about the possibility of Germany and USA not playing to win and settling for a draw to help each other through to the next stage. The German side proved all the speculations wrong when they peppered the USA defence with shots throughout the match. Despite the intensity of the attack, Germany only managed to score once but that was enough to take them to the top of the table.
With the USA defeated, Portugal stood with a chance. They defeated Ghana 2-1 in the last match but despite gaining 3 points, the goal difference was insurmountable and USA will go through in second position.
Full Group G Match Results:
See other results:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?