FIFA World Cup 2014 Standings Group G Results: Germany and USA Qualify
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 27, 2014 1:07 PM EST
Group G was one of the groups which was still wide open coming into the last match day in the group stage for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. All four teams still had a mathematical possibility of advancing to the next stage with Germany and USA each with 4 points and Ghana and Portugal with one point.
The USA were revelations after they beat Ghana in their first game. That was a revenge match against the team that took them out of the round of 16 in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. The opening win for the USA gave them a boost enough to hold an injury stricken-Portugal to a 2-2 draw in their second match.
Germany, who did well in 2010 to reach the semi-finals, started a very strong campaign by slaughtering Portugal 4-0 in their opening match. Germany knew the threat that was World Footballer of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo and his plans to rain on their parande and they made the necessary preparations to neutralize him and that was exactly what they achieved.
Concerns were raised about the possibility of Germany and USA not playing to win and settling for a draw to help each other through to the next stage. The German side proved all the speculations wrong when they peppered the USA defence with shots throughout the match. Despite the intensity of the attack, Germany only managed to score once but that was enough to take them to the top of the table.
With the USA defeated, Portugal stood with a chance. They defeated Ghana 2-1 in the last match but despite gaining 3 points, the goal difference was insurmountable and USA will go through in second position.
Full Group G Match Results:
See other results:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales