FIFA World Cup 2014 Standings Group G Results: Germany and USA Qualify
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 27, 2014 1:07 PM EST
Group G was one of the groups which was still wide open coming into the last match day in the group stage for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. All four teams still had a mathematical possibility of advancing to the next stage with Germany and USA each with 4 points and Ghana and Portugal with one point.
The USA were revelations after they beat Ghana in their first game. That was a revenge match against the team that took them out of the round of 16 in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. The opening win for the USA gave them a boost enough to hold an injury stricken-Portugal to a 2-2 draw in their second match.
Germany, who did well in 2010 to reach the semi-finals, started a very strong campaign by slaughtering Portugal 4-0 in their opening match. Germany knew the threat that was World Footballer of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo and his plans to rain on their parande and they made the necessary preparations to neutralize him and that was exactly what they achieved.
Concerns were raised about the possibility of Germany and USA not playing to win and settling for a draw to help each other through to the next stage. The German side proved all the speculations wrong when they peppered the USA defence with shots throughout the match. Despite the intensity of the attack, Germany only managed to score once but that was enough to take them to the top of the table.
With the USA defeated, Portugal stood with a chance. They defeated Ghana 2-1 in the last match but despite gaining 3 points, the goal difference was insurmountable and USA will go through in second position.
Full Group G Match Results:
See other results:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS