Samsung Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition and the Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Coming to Galaxy Note II
By Gel Galang | June 27, 2014 12:30 PM EST
The Samsung Galaxy S5 has been enjoying the spotlight as the flagship phone for the year of the South Korean company. But even though there are other variants rumoured or coming out, including the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, the Samsung Galaxy S5 Sports and the Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime, there's another variant possibly jumping into the market.
A Google logo is seen at the garage where the company was founded on Google's 15th anniversary in Menlo Park, California September 26, 2013. REUTERS/Stephen Lam
Sighted over at the official Android Web site is the Samsung Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition, a device that was not originally part of the list expected to debut with this variant.
Ubergizmo reports that this is still just a chance that the Samsung Galaxy S5 will be getting the Google Play Edition variant, as neither Google nor Samsung have said any official confirmations about this version of the 2014 flagship phone.
The source adds that there have been no announcements during the Google I/O event either, so the image taken from the Web site, seen in the link above, may still be a placeholder as of the moment.
There are speculations of whether there is a need for a Samsung Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition, considering that the Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition did not add much by way of features or functionality to the original version.
TechnologyTell does suggest that if the Android Silver, a line of high-end phones, may be coming in, and it's not impossible for this line to take over the Google Play Editions and other more high-end versions of phones.
Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Coming to Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Another Samsung device will be getting an update for the Android 4.4.2 Kitkat, at least before the Android L is introduced and rolled out. This device is AT&T's Samsung Galaxy Note 2, a follow-up to AT&T's Samsung Galaxy S3 update.
According to SamMobile, the firmware version I317UCUCNE5 will bring changes and improvements in performance, icons, the full-screen album art and a shortcut for the camera on the lockscreen.
The Android 4.4.2 Kitkat will also bring in wireless printing support, closed captions, default messaging selection, the keyboard app and an updated version to some of Samsung's apps.
The Beats Music app will also be preloaded on the OS now, so if you're interested in getting these new features, expect to get the update sometime this week.
Read more tech and gaming news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Games: The Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode Leaked Shots; Halo: Master Chief Collection Detailed
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition Romance: Cassandra Pentaghast, Dorian, Cullen, Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine Montilyet
- The SIMS 4 Official System Requirements Reveal Low Spec Demands; Release Date on September 2
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUFNF4 Firmware Manual Installation
- Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes Release Date, Features Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy Play Set
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]