Samsung Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition and the Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Coming to Galaxy Note II
By Gel Galang | June 27, 2014 12:30 PM EST
The Samsung Galaxy S5 has been enjoying the spotlight as the flagship phone for the year of the South Korean company. But even though there are other variants rumoured or coming out, including the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, the Samsung Galaxy S5 Sports and the Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime, there's another variant possibly jumping into the market.
A Google logo is seen at the garage where the company was founded on Google's 15th anniversary in Menlo Park, California September 26, 2013. REUTERS/Stephen Lam
Sighted over at the official Android Web site is the Samsung Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition, a device that was not originally part of the list expected to debut with this variant.
Ubergizmo reports that this is still just a chance that the Samsung Galaxy S5 will be getting the Google Play Edition variant, as neither Google nor Samsung have said any official confirmations about this version of the 2014 flagship phone.
The source adds that there have been no announcements during the Google I/O event either, so the image taken from the Web site, seen in the link above, may still be a placeholder as of the moment.
There are speculations of whether there is a need for a Samsung Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition, considering that the Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition did not add much by way of features or functionality to the original version.
TechnologyTell does suggest that if the Android Silver, a line of high-end phones, may be coming in, and it's not impossible for this line to take over the Google Play Editions and other more high-end versions of phones.
Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Coming to Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Another Samsung device will be getting an update for the Android 4.4.2 Kitkat, at least before the Android L is introduced and rolled out. This device is AT&T's Samsung Galaxy Note 2, a follow-up to AT&T's Samsung Galaxy S3 update.
According to SamMobile, the firmware version I317UCUCNE5 will bring changes and improvements in performance, icons, the full-screen album art and a shortcut for the camera on the lockscreen.
The Android 4.4.2 Kitkat will also bring in wireless printing support, closed captions, default messaging selection, the keyboard app and an updated version to some of Samsung's apps.
The Beats Music app will also be preloaded on the OS now, so if you're interested in getting these new features, expect to get the update sometime this week.
Read more tech and gaming news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- Sony Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3 Compact Gets Certified For 23.0.1.A.1.43, Xperia Z3 Dual For 23.0.F.1.82
- 'World Of Warcraft' 6.0.3 Patch Hotfixes Update Including Hallow's End And The Latest Resolved Issues Regarding The 'WoW' User Interface, Classes, Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Gets A New Trailer And Hidden Demo Missions
- Check Out The ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection’ Ranking, New Anniversary Trailer And Level Walkthroughs
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists