Samsung Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition and the Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Coming to Galaxy Note II
By Gel Galang | June 27, 2014 12:30 PM EST
The Samsung Galaxy S5 has been enjoying the spotlight as the flagship phone for the year of the South Korean company. But even though there are other variants rumoured or coming out, including the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, the Samsung Galaxy S5 Sports and the Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime, there's another variant possibly jumping into the market.
A Google logo is seen at the garage where the company was founded on Google's 15th anniversary in Menlo Park, California September 26, 2013. REUTERS/Stephen Lam
Sighted over at the official Android Web site is the Samsung Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition, a device that was not originally part of the list expected to debut with this variant.
Ubergizmo reports that this is still just a chance that the Samsung Galaxy S5 will be getting the Google Play Edition variant, as neither Google nor Samsung have said any official confirmations about this version of the 2014 flagship phone.
The source adds that there have been no announcements during the Google I/O event either, so the image taken from the Web site, seen in the link above, may still be a placeholder as of the moment.
There are speculations of whether there is a need for a Samsung Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition, considering that the Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition did not add much by way of features or functionality to the original version.
TechnologyTell does suggest that if the Android Silver, a line of high-end phones, may be coming in, and it's not impossible for this line to take over the Google Play Editions and other more high-end versions of phones.
Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Coming to Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Another Samsung device will be getting an update for the Android 4.4.2 Kitkat, at least before the Android L is introduced and rolled out. This device is AT&T's Samsung Galaxy Note 2, a follow-up to AT&T's Samsung Galaxy S3 update.
According to SamMobile, the firmware version I317UCUCNE5 will bring changes and improvements in performance, icons, the full-screen album art and a shortcut for the camera on the lockscreen.
The Android 4.4.2 Kitkat will also bring in wireless printing support, closed captions, default messaging selection, the keyboard app and an updated version to some of Samsung's apps.
The Beats Music app will also be preloaded on the OS now, so if you're interested in getting these new features, expect to get the update sometime this week.
Read more tech and gaming news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- ‘World Of Warcraft’ Extends The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff Until The ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Pre-Patch 6.0.2 Release After Updating The 6.0.2 Public Test Realm Patch Notes [WATCH VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers