World Cup 2014: Touted as Biggest Global Event for Social Media
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 27, 2014 12:26 PM EST
The 2014 World Cup's popularity is so immense that it is touted as the "biggest global event for social media," The Journal reported.
Brazil's Neymar celebrates scoring his second goal against Cameroon during their 2014 World Cup Group A soccer match at the Brasilia national stadium in Brasilia, June 23, 2014.
It beats the combined Super Bowl, Oscars and Winter Olympics social media attention, it added.
Twitter, on the other hand, reported a large number of tweets during the ongoing World Cup. The June 12 Brazil's win against Croatia in the opening game posted 12.2 million tweets, 8 million tweets during the U.S. game with Portugal, and 6.1 million tweets during Brazil against Cameroon game.
Games will still be played in the World Cup until the middle of July, but the social media interactions so far, in the past days, are higher than the 2012 London Olympics social media interactions.
In the book titled The Comprehensive Guide to Careers in Sports, author Glenn Wong stated that in 2006, more than 30 million people watched the FIFA World Cup soccer competition in addition to 3.3 million spectators, making it the most watched sporting event in the world.
Sports viewing has fueled the digital access market, and because social media networks rely on the Internet, more and more people are gaining access to the Web via phone and other mobile devices.
The latest statistics from the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) stated that in 2014, there are 3 billion Internet and mobile-cellular users, a one billion increase from the last World Cup in 2010.
Fans are using other platforms integrated into Facebook and Twitter to watch the event, interact and follow their favourite teams. One unique way of utilising the social media is through the audio social networking.
London-based Audioboom Group PLC (BOOM.L), owner of Audioboo, a digital social media platform, is becoming to be known as the YouTube and Twitter of the spoken word. Audioboo is a free platform that enables the creation, broadcast and syndication of audio content across multiple global verticals, the company stated.
Audioboo is also being utilised by radio stations, journalists and podcasters in sharing their coverage and experiences of the World Cup.
The Audioboo platform allows fans, players and content partners to widen their reach globally through mobile apps, embeddable players and Facebook and Twitter sharing and generate revenues from ads.
According to the Audioboo Web site, there are several uploads and shared audio contents involving the excitement over the World Cup.
A World Cup fan from Ghana, Yussif Mukhtar, shares his comments about his country's soccer team through the BBC Africa audio feed, sport commentators shares daily podcast of World Cup Games on Audioboo and BBC's Radio 4 interviews people in Brazil on their opinions about the soccer tournament.
Audioboo is a useful tool to record and listen to audio contents, it can be used to record from a desktop, via the app on a smartphone or by uploading as an audio file.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes