Wimbledon Open 2014: Roger Federer Unleashing ‘Secret Weapon,’ As He Looks To Win Another Slam
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 27, 2014 11:45 AM EST
Roger Federer has kept his bid of winning the Wimbledon Open Championship for a record-setting eighth time by beating Gilles Muller of Luxemburg 6-3, 7-5, 6-3 to advance into the third round on Thursday.
Roger Federer of Switzerland wipes his face during a training session ahead of the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London June 22, 2014.
But unlike his past stints at Wimbly, the former world's no.1 is playing a more tactical tennis by returning to a serve-and-volley approach - the same strategical weapon he employed when he first made it into the quarterfinal round of the tourney and then eventually clinched his first crown at All-England Club.
"I remember still how I played in 2001 when I made it to the quarters here. I serve and volleyed 80 per cent on the first serve, 30 to 50 per cent on the second serve. It was just normal. I even did some in 2003 when I won first here. Then every year I started doing less because the game started changing on the tour really," Federer said in post-match interview via Tennis Tonic.
After a miserable campaign last year, the Swiss Master made several changes heading into the 2014 season by hiring a new coach in Stefan Edberg and using a bigger racket for more power in his serves.
Federer stressed that he isn't planning to lean heavily on serve-and-volley tactic, as he's aware the strategy might not be effective against power players. Still, the Maestro thinks a combination of old technique and new approach in the game could do wonders for him, as he goes deeper into the tourney.
"I didn't serve and volley all the time. That's not how I intend to be playing. But mixing it up a little bit could be the way to go. I'll still have to see how it's going to go from here on, because at the end I'd rather not serve and volley and win my matches than go out in style serving and volleying," added Federer, who will face the winner of Marcel Granollers- Santiago Giraldo match.
Bigger Expectations for Federer
Despite bombing out in the second round of the Wimbledon Open last year, Federer is very much optimistic about his chances this year. The 17-time Grand Slam champion believed he has a shot at winning this year's tournament, if everything falls in place for him.
"I feel like if things click here I should be able to win the tournament; whereas at the French I feel like I'm slightly more dependent on Rafa. He's the only guy really," Federer said.
"That doesn't mean I don't believe I can win the French either. It's just that I know he's been so dominant over there that it goes through him regardless; whereas on the grass or hard courts you don't feel it as much.
"I feel like if I play my game it's more on my racquet. As soon as that's the case, you're more confident in your chances. I feel I have a very good chance again this year," Federer added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6