FIFA 2014 Round of 16 Predictions: Match #56 Belgium vs. United States
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 27, 2014 11:23 AM EST
Belgium 2 United States 1 (120')
U.S. coach Juergen Klinsmann claps after their 2014 World Cup Group G soccer match with Germany at the Pernambuco arena in Recife June 26, 2014.
Match number 56 is the eighth match of the knock-out stages. Belgium won all 3 matches in the group stage to collect 9 points to finish on top of Group H. United States, on the other hand, won 1, drew 1 and lost 1 to collect 4 points to finish second in Group G.
Belgium: Experts had high expectations from Belgium when it came to the World Cup. Belgium, on the other hand, has disappointed many with its performance. It sounds rather contradictory since Belgium was one of the 4 out of 16 qualified teams to the "Round of 16" that won all 3 group matches. The number of wins, however, does not tell the entire story all the time. Belgium was far behind from its own potential. It was in a group that probably had the most underperformed teams in this World Cup. None of the other 3 teams, including Algeria which qualified for the next round, played extraordinary football. Yet, Belgium managed to score only 1 goal more than its opposition to secure victory in every match in group stages. Belgium has to perform much better than what it did in group stages as it will face tougher teams. United States, as a team, has played significantly better football in any team in Group H.
United States: It must be Jürgen Klinsmann's extraordinary leadership that the United States has played stunning football in its last 3 matches. No matter it won or lost, it always managed to set high standards in field. First it won against Ghana 2-1. The start was strong. However, its best performance was against Portugal. If there was no magical cross of Cristiano Ronaldo at the final minute of play, it could easily have been another 2-1 win for the U.S. The U.S. team was denied victory at the last moment as the match ended in 2-2 draw. When it started playing its third group stage match against Germany, it knew that only a miracle in the other match between Portugal and Ghana could prevent it from going to the next round. The miracle did not take place. The United States went to the "Round of 16" as a deserving team. Now, it has to face Belgium which is much stronger on paper. However, Klinsmann's boys know that football is not played on paper.
Head to Head
These two teams played 5 times against each other before. Belgium won 4, and the U.S. 1. There were 13 goals scored in total. Belgium scored 8 of those and the U.S. 5.
Belgium: Marouane Fellaini and Jan Vertonghen
United States: Jermaine Jones and Clint Dempsey
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 5 pm (local time) on July 1, which means it is 6 am on July 2 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador.
The United States will continue to play magnificent and courageous football. Belgium will not be able to match the U.S. standard. The U.S.A. will win it 2-1 and move to the quarter-finals.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique