FIFA 2014 Round of 16 Predictions: Match #54 Germany vs. Algeria
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 27, 2014 11:17 AM EST
Germany's Thomas Mueller reacts during their 2014 World Cup Group G soccer match against U.S. at the Pernambuco arena in Recife June 26, 2014.
Match number 54 is the sixth match of the knock-out stages. Germany won 2 matches and drew 1 in the group stage to collect 7 points to finish on top of Group G. Algeria, on the other hand, won 1, lost 1 and drew 1 to collect 4 points to finish second in Group F.
Germany: Germany started the tournament in the most emphatic manner possible. It thrashed Portugal 4-0 and apparently declared that it had come with a mission. However, it met with an unexpectedly tough opponent Ghana in its next match which ended in a 2-2 draw. Germany started the third match, knowing well that it would be nothing sort of a miracle to get eliminated even if it lost to the United States. However, losing to United States would not have worked well on the German morale, especially after failing to win against Ghana. United States, on the other hand, was aware that even a draw would take it to the next round. Germany played rather cautiously to ensure not to lose the match. Eventually, it won against the U.S.A 1-0, thanks to the serial goal-scorer Thomas Müller. Germany's next opponent is Algeria. The way the minnows have performed in this world cup, it will be unwise to take the African nation lightly.
Algeria: Algeria made history when it ended its final group match against Russia in a draw. The 1-1 result meant that the African team was going to the knock-out stages of a world cup for the first time. Algeria's performance in this world cup has not been utterly impressive. However, it managed to secure a thumping 4-2 win against Korea Republic, which eventually helped it proceed to the next round. Group H was not among the top performing groups. Algeria is the only team except Belgium that had tasted victory. Algeria also had 1 point from a draw in its last group match against Russia, which was enough to take it to the "Round of 16." Algeria plays with a lot of physical strength which will be handy against the Germans. Its first foreign coach Vahid Halilhodžić will leave no stone unturned to compete against the European giant.
Head to Head
These two teams played twice against each other before. Interestingly, Algeria won both the matches. There were 5 goals scored in total, and Algeria scored 4 of those.
Germany: Thomas Müller and Lukas Podolski
Algeria: Islam Slimani and Yacine Brahimi
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 5 pm (local time) on June 30, which means it is 6 am on July 1 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Estádio Beira-Rio in Porto Alegre.
Even though the past records indicate otherwise, Algeria will turn out to be feeble against the German team which will win it 4-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon