FIFA 2014 Round of 16 Predictions: Match #54 Germany vs. Algeria
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 27, 2014 11:17 AM EST
Germany's Thomas Mueller reacts during their 2014 World Cup Group G soccer match against U.S. at the Pernambuco arena in Recife June 26, 2014.
Match number 54 is the sixth match of the knock-out stages. Germany won 2 matches and drew 1 in the group stage to collect 7 points to finish on top of Group G. Algeria, on the other hand, won 1, lost 1 and drew 1 to collect 4 points to finish second in Group F.
Germany: Germany started the tournament in the most emphatic manner possible. It thrashed Portugal 4-0 and apparently declared that it had come with a mission. However, it met with an unexpectedly tough opponent Ghana in its next match which ended in a 2-2 draw. Germany started the third match, knowing well that it would be nothing sort of a miracle to get eliminated even if it lost to the United States. However, losing to United States would not have worked well on the German morale, especially after failing to win against Ghana. United States, on the other hand, was aware that even a draw would take it to the next round. Germany played rather cautiously to ensure not to lose the match. Eventually, it won against the U.S.A 1-0, thanks to the serial goal-scorer Thomas Müller. Germany's next opponent is Algeria. The way the minnows have performed in this world cup, it will be unwise to take the African nation lightly.
Algeria: Algeria made history when it ended its final group match against Russia in a draw. The 1-1 result meant that the African team was going to the knock-out stages of a world cup for the first time. Algeria's performance in this world cup has not been utterly impressive. However, it managed to secure a thumping 4-2 win against Korea Republic, which eventually helped it proceed to the next round. Group H was not among the top performing groups. Algeria is the only team except Belgium that had tasted victory. Algeria also had 1 point from a draw in its last group match against Russia, which was enough to take it to the "Round of 16." Algeria plays with a lot of physical strength which will be handy against the Germans. Its first foreign coach Vahid Halilhodžić will leave no stone unturned to compete against the European giant.
Head to Head
These two teams played twice against each other before. Interestingly, Algeria won both the matches. There were 5 goals scored in total, and Algeria scored 4 of those.
Germany: Thomas Müller and Lukas Podolski
Algeria: Islam Slimani and Yacine Brahimi
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 5 pm (local time) on June 30, which means it is 6 am on July 1 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Estádio Beira-Rio in Porto Alegre.
Even though the past records indicate otherwise, Algeria will turn out to be feeble against the German team which will win it 4-1.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying